Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries

Our V4 sound explained.

Found this very interesting in the how and why our bikes sound so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwEbwKBic6w

Opportunity is where you anticipate it.

Making the VFR have more get up and go. Header build fund @ https://www.gofundme.com/vfr-header-build

[

Country
    Thanks
    Watched that video, here's a question:

Early in the video he shows (written on paper) his musically annotated representation of the VFR firing order. Am I mistaken, or did he get the order wrong? On his paper version it seems that he's got cylinders #2 and #4 firing order reversed.

When he moves on to the "visual V8" model he describes the firing order correctly:
    1--3---2--4

Country
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    more bullshit.

Country
    My Ride
    2014 VFR Former owner: VFR 5th Gen. VFR 6th Gen. BMW R1200RT BMW K1200R
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreginDenver View Post
    Watched that video, here's a question:

Early in the video he shows (written on paper) his musically annotated representation of the VFR firing order. Am I mistaken, or did he get the order wrong? On his paper version it seems that he's got cylinders #2 and #4 firing order reversed.

When he moves on to the "visual V8" model he describes the firing order correctly:
    1--3---2--4
    You're right.

Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!
    Country
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 1,163 Posts
    The musical notation is the second chair French horn in this musical interlude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLuW-GBaJ8k

Strauss would probably have been a BMW guy anyway.

Once upon a time there was a company that made 180 degree crankshfts for Ford flatheads the fired two cylinders at a time. Sometimes the engines were paired with Ardun heads. The cranks were from Norden, the heads were designed by Zora Arkus-Duntov the big daddy of the Chevvy Corvette.

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcalBoy View Post
    more bullshit.
    Bullshit=E mc 2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Badbilly For This Useful Post:

motorn (04-23-2017)

Country
    My Ride
    04 800A
    Thanks
    That's music to my ears. No wonder I can't get enough of riding.
    Frame sliders are for sissies.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2002 VFR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 982 Posts
    Someone needs to grow up and take a chill pill or stop drinkin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELL YA, LETS RIDE !!!!!!!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to duccmann For This Useful Post:

CandyRedRC46 (04-21-2017)

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2014 VFR800 Deluxe 1983 VF750F
    Thanks
    I thought is was a reasonable explanation and at least he took the time and effort to relate it to a musical example. When I first got my '83, I got a Vance and Hines 4 into two system. Sounded good, but not what I expected. To me VF750 never sounded like a 'hot' bike, but it sure pulled like one. Now I have both the 83 & the 14 with totally different engines and different sounds. I still don't think sound is as hot as a well tuned I-4 with a pipe. Exhaust pulses are evenly timed and create a more pure musical frequency. With the odd cadence and firing orders of the V-4s they have their own unique sound. Don't get me wrong, I love my V4s!, but certain engines just have a great sound, one that has stuck in my memory for years was a 427 Ford at the drag races, don't what was different about, but man it sounded great.

More: I don't understand why NorCal has a bug up his ass about this. It's no so much the firing order, but the interval between firings. The V4 are asymmetrical whereas the I-4s have equal intervals. Not bullshit.
    Last edited by Allyance; 04-21-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    14 Red VFR Deluxe - OEM Panniers and Quick Shifter - Knight Design Pegs - MotoPumps Handle bar risers
    83 VF750F (Owned since new) - Corbin Seat - Vance & Hines Pipes/Kerker Slip ons - FOX Shock - Lockart Oil Cooler - K&N Air Filter!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Allyance For This Useful Post:

DriftingAlong (04-21-2017)

Country
    Thanks
    If you dudes want to hear how any one of these V4s really sound, unbolt the muffler. If nothing else just to show the Harleydoods that loud pipes can make ya deef...They're already dumb..

Uber Guru
    Country
    My Ride
    1999 VFR 800
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NorcalBoy View Post
    more bullshit.

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyance View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love my V4s!, but certain engines just have a great sound, one that has stuck in my memory for years was a 427 Ford at the drag races, don't what was different about, but man it sounded great.
    You were hearing something that you don't​ hear very often: a cross-plane crankshaft V8 that wasn't "choking" on its own exhaust.

In normal applications a cross-plane V8 suffers from the fact that 2 cylinders in the same bank fire one-after-the-other only 90 degrees of rotation apart. This has the momentary effect of crowding the exhaust manifold with more gas flow than it was designed to efficiently handle.

It's the big trade-off of the cross-plane V8. On one hand you get a really smooth engine​, but the resulting firing order makes it impossible to property size the exhaust tube diameter (to provide uniform scavenging).

But your dragster didn't have a normal ​exhaust system.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GreginDenver For This Useful Post:

Allyance (04-21-2017)

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    CBR 1000rr, RD 350, CR 250, 09 VFR, 2012 DR 650
    Thanks
    Cross Plane cranks on the R1 sure sound sweet too. Especially with a pipe. An Aprillia V4 is very sweet too. And I still love an I4 sound. And I love a twin 2 smoker and a triple smoker and my Dr 650 thumper........ Yeah I'm pretty much an addict.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2014 VFR800 Deluxe 1983 VF750F
    Thanks
    Thanks GreginDenver, the 427 was in a Mercury Cyclone in the very early 70's at Niagara Speedway. Just sounded so sweet. I had a high performance 289 in a little Italian body, same specs as a 289 Cobra for acceleration. Only car I ever had that could get front wheels off the ground so that I lost the steering! Made my own exhaust with two Austin Healy 6 mufflers, one in 2 out, sounded sweet with two sets of twin pipes. 67 was last year without any emissions crap on the engine. Was going to buy a 427 Cobra, but the stopped making them a month earlier!
    14 Red VFR Deluxe - OEM Panniers and Quick Shifter - Knight Design Pegs - MotoPumps Handle bar risers
    83 VF750F (Owned since new) - Corbin Seat - Vance & Hines Pipes/Kerker Slip ons - FOX Shock - Lockart Oil Cooler - K&N Air Filter!

Country
    My Ride
    2014 Pearl White Interceptor Deluxe, Mods: Delkevic Mini Carbon exhaust + 3hp, Overseas VFR badges +10hp
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RVFR View Post
    Our V4 sound explained.
    That was very cool, thanks! You can clearly hear that awesome funky beat in my exhaust vid - I recommend cranking up the volume with a subwoofer

Click HERE for info on VFR groupride in St. Augustine May 20th with vintage bike show!
    Click HERE to check out my VFR MotoVlog!

Country
    Thanks
    Thanks GreginDenver, the 427 was in a Mercury Cyclone in the very early 70's at Niagara Speedway. Just sounded so sweet. I had a high performance 289 in a little Italian body, same specs as a 289 Cobra for acceleration. Only car I ever had that could get front wheels off the ground so that I lost the steering! Made my own exhaust with two Austin Healy 6 mufflers, one in 2 out, sounded sweet with two sets of twin pipes. 67 was last year without any emissions crap on the engine. Was going to buy a 427 Cobra, but the stopped making them a month earlier!
    My early experience with being amazed by the sound of a "normal" V8 (cross-plane) was at Road Atlanta in the mid '80s. Walking the pits with a knowledgeable SCCA driver and hearing an F5000 open-wheel V8 race car start up, the sound was incredible. The driver I was with explained the reason for the difference: this car had the "bundle of snakes" style exhaust system that stuck up above and beyond the engine to combine 8-into-4-into-2 from BOTH sides of the engine (which is the only way to truly solve the cross-plane V8 exhaust problem).

Country
    My Ride
    1998 Honda VFR800 - Back in Red! 2003 Aprilia Tuno 2007 Aprilia Tuono
    Thanks
    Forget the sheet music. The thing makes sounds that are music to my ears.
    So do the aprilias for that matter.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Country
    My Ride
    1999 Honda VFR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,178 Posts
    I heard a 2016 R1 with an Austin Racing cat delete mid pipe and slip on on it two weeks ago. It sounded f*cking insanely good. Seriously gave my 99 with it's exhaust to a challenge. Serious V8 sound to it. Similar to this, but it sounded so much better in person. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbXnqgoN7Sg
    Videat veritatem

See the truth

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lint For This Useful Post:

GatorGreg (04-21-2017)

Country
    My Ride
    2014 Pearl White Interceptor Deluxe, Mods: Delkevic Mini Carbon exhaust + 3hp, Overseas VFR badges +10hp
    Thanks
    Oooooh the Ford/Mercury 427 was an awesome engine! I used to be into Mercury Cougars (that's a pic of my '70 with a 351 Cleveland V8 below) and the 7 liter 427 was used in the 1968 Cougar GT-E model and was conservatively rated at 390 hp. For '70 you had a choice of the 351 Cleveland, Marauder 390, 428 Cobra Jet (with or without Ram Air), and the Boss 302! I had a custom exhaust system added to mine and it sounded incredible - wish I had a vid of it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Click HERE for info on VFR groupride in St. Augustine May 20th with vintage bike show!
    Click HERE to check out my VFR MotoVlog!

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    It mostly doesn't matter to me since I wear 34db ear plugs. I don't have to say "huh" very often nor do I see how people ride without ear plugs.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DriftingAlong For This Useful Post:

coccyx (04-23-2017)

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DriftingAlong View Post
    It mostly doesn't matter to me since I wear 34db ear plugs. I don't have to say "huh" very often nor do I see how people ride without ear plugs.
    I have a solution for you. To totally dispense with saying "huh", maybe since you are a creative dude, a cracker variation on the Canadian "Eh". Maybe ask one of the more refined Canadian dudes here for some help. They are a tough lot.

Your earplugs must be the latest thing according to what is on the net. A little fudging is understandable but flat oot lying? Not a good thing:

NRR Ratings. The highest NRR rating for earplugs is 33, and the highest available NRR rating for earmuffs is 31. These values reflect the level of noise protection available for each device when worn alone. Combining earplugs with earmuffs can offer a NRR protection level of 36.
    NRR Rating - Custom Protect EarCustom Protect Ear
    www.protectear.com/nrr-rating/

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbilly View Post
    I have a solution for you. To totally dispense with saying "huh", maybe since you are a creative dude, a cracker variation on the Canadian "Eh". Maybe ask one of the more refined Canadian dudes here for some help. They are a tough lot.

Your earplugs must be the latest thing according to what is on the net. A little fudging is understandable but flat oot lying? Not a good thing:

NRR Ratings. The highest NRR rating for earplugs is 33, and the highest available NRR rating for earmuffs is 31. These values reflect the level of noise protection available for each device when worn alone. Combining earplugs with earmuffs can offer a NRR protection level of 36.
    NRR Rating - Custom Protect EarCustom Protect Ear
    www.protectear.com/nrr-rating/
    You're wrong. Quoting a site that sells earplugs is hardly a reliable source. Maybe that has to do with why you aren't taken seriously or paid attention to.

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DriftingAlong View Post
    You're wrong. Quoting a site that sells earplugs is hardly a reliable source. Maybe that has to do with why you aren't taken seriously or paid attention to.
    Thanks for paying attention to me. I needed that. After several looks at other sites, I agree that there are lyin SOBs out there just trying to take our hard earned pasos by fudging numbers and making up shit.

We should turn them in to great leader and show em who's boss.