Piper Cross vs. K-N

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RVFR, Apr 20, 2017.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    So it dawned on me while sitting here thinking about the VFR stuff to wrap up on, a light bulb moment lit me up, Shiet! I haven't install the Piper Cross my son got me for Christmas, so off to the gargage I went, for what I thought from reading this Piper can be a PITA to install, So armed with the right attitude I jumped in. Ha only to be surprised, went in as easy as the K-N came out, go figure. Did how ever see where it could be a PITA, trick here is the Piper wants to be installed in the lid, where as the K-N likes to be put in the lower half. IDK didn't run into any hic ups. Boy does it make sense to use the Piper Cross just look at the filter area. And here I've been a user of KN air filters since they first showed up in the market. Goes to show there's some things old dogs can learn. Now lets see how it performs ;)

Obviously a K-N with only 3000 miles on it, still pretty clean.

[​IMG]

Piper Cross just sitting there, this is when I notice that putting the lid on was going to be tricky, until I figured why not put it in the lid first. Bingo!

[​IMG]

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

All worthless shit, maybe you ought to consult the candy red guy for some more worthless intel. When are you guys gonna start thinking for yourselves, or start talking to tuners with modern day knowledge? You aren't gonna gain any significant shit from your header pipes, cans and all the rest of the bullshit you have been falsely led to believe in. If ya really wanna do something, you're gonna have to crack those cases and covers. This is worse than trying to reach second base in third grade. The only question that needs to be asked is.....Do you have the stomach for investing cubic dollars into an ancient design that has been past by a decade ago?

BTW, CandyRed can suck my dick, I'm at MotoGP in Austin. I have had conversations with 3 current name players in the tuning and high performance motorcycle market and they all said the same exact thing....Stay away from RapidBike. Not my words..... That makes 7 prominent players in the high performance tuning game, that I have personnaly spoken to, that say the RapidBike is shit. I have data, dyno proven. I've seen it firsthand. Don't let this bite you in the end. Bring it, if you really got it. The gloves are off, I've been personally insulted by a **** *** internet plug and play tuner and I cannot let anymore heresay and nonsense go. If you wanna go expert on expert, the time is now. Bring your people, and your fucking data. You wanna play? Let's play.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    I've only been here 3 months and I'm already starting to wonder why the mods still let you post here. You actually seem quite intelligent and clearly have a lot of expertise to offer but its all buried under you being an obnoxious tool.

I'm sure many people here, myself included, would be interested to see the data you have, maybe try posting it in a civil manner? It'd be nice for this not to devolve into hearsay and ad hominem again.

EDIT: Btw I happen to agree with a lot of what you say, superficial mods such as air filters and new headers arent going to drastically improve a bikes performance, but they do help and they are a hell of a lot easier to install than new cams, heads, cranks etc.

4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    :brushteeth: P1010419.jpg P1010197.jpg Nadeli.jpg my piper cross was a total fail and a waste of dough-chipmonk seems to like to eat these and no metel screen like the stock one

5. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    The hell with data. When ya'll racin'?

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    How many cups of coffee this morning Norca? lol

Why come in and crap all over RVFR's new thread? Yeah putting in a Pipercross, header, and can might not make huge gains like a bunch of engine work but that is not the point. I put on after market cans, a Pipercross PVC5 and a tune. Did I get AWESOME gains? Of coarse not. Does my bike run a lot smoother through the rpm range? Hell yes and it sounds like music to me now. My butt dyne tells me I gained 2.375634210004 hp. I good with that.

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yeah RVFR the Pipercross has a lot more area used in the box. The intake growl is nice. They are well built filters. Even SOW's mice like them.

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Well well.. calm down. NC. Take it up on CR time, not mine please. thank you. Not my debate.

If you must know as a third grader I hit a couple home runs and made it to third a many times, first and second was a no brainier. lol, 40 years here in the baseball academics, so that's not a problem. you just gota have the ability and desire. . On another note, kinda funny you say no gains in header swapping which we all know ain't true. Now what are the gains worth? that's up to each individual in what they perceive as ok for the money. Yea I know its a old design but I'm having fun. It's not like I'm trying to get you to buy one. It's all good.

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Supposedly K&N's newer version for the VFR has an increased filter size. I think the "unleashed" thread there's a picture of it. Of course with the "folds" in the K&N, I would think the overall filter element is actually bigger than it looks like.

10. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yes I think its a lot closer to the PC but still not as much surface area. I did not have any trouble installing it, just like Jay did not.

11. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Why would anyone crack the case covers, before installing an actual performance header with equal length tubing/smoother merges/optimized primary and secondary diameters/lengths (over a Chinese eBay header), installing an actual performance air filter (instead of a K&N or BMC that doesn't make use of the full air box opening and has it's filter material sitting on top of the velocity stacks) or having the ability to adjust both fuel and ignition mapping (versus a simple PC3 that only adjusts fuel mapping).

As far as, "You aren't gonna gain any significant shit from your header pipes, cans and all the rest of the bullshit you have been falsely led to believe in", I think that is wrong. We all know the typical "Slip on, Catless header, filter, snorkel/flapper delete and Power Commander tune" will get you in the 100-105whp neighborhood. Add to that recipe an actual race header, custom velocity stacks, a better air filter (Like Pipercross), Plus tuning both the fuel and ignition mapping and you should be in the 110-115whp neighborhood. Add custom camshafts to that exact recipe and you should be at about 120whp, as that is exactly what mohawk did and that is what he put down (Which you also think is BS like everything else). Finally do a 2mm overbore and install cbr929 pistons and you should be at around 140whp, as that is exactly what Highsidenz did and that is what he put down. You on the other hand, might have done some of the engine work, but you didn't do the first step. I think that is why your build didn't result in numbers that you felt comfortable with releasing and that is why you are so bitter about anything to do with modifying VFR800's.

I also think you are making up these stories about "important people not liking Rapid Bike", because you have it out for me. I don't think you have any dyno proven data... Furthermore, I am pretty sure that you are the one doing most of the insulting, as you have been ridiculing me since 2009 and you honestly sound like you are miserable and just want everyone else that doesn't agree with you to be miserable too.

I can prove to you and everyone else that Rapid Bike is not "shit" as you alone are saying. EDR Performance tunes exclusively with a combination of ECU Flash and Rapid Bike piggy back "Plug in" tuning, Factory Race ECU and also Bazzaz, but one thing you won't find on any of their bikes is a power commander... They are, without a doubt, building some of the fastest street and track bikes out there, a lot of them featuring a Rapid Bike on the build list. Don't just take my word for it, check them out, but I am sure you will say EDR is shit too lol:

http://edrperformance.com/

https://www.facebook.com/edrperformance/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  12. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Biggest storm in a teacup ever.

13. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I don't think any of these guys had any issues when their RapidBike backed Ducati 1299 Panigale took the win in the Supertwin class at the "24 Heures Motos" in LeMans:

http://bit.ly/2p4DN4C

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Candy are you letting facts get in the way of an opinion again? Shame on you. lol

15. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I forgot about how the K&N leaves no space over the stacks.

16. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah both K&N and BMC really don't, especially with the long skinny factory stacks.

17. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
  18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    why not just get a 750 Suzuki?

19. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Because they sound like a 750 Suzuki.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

20. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    sounds like a what a HD rider would say, that is true-perhaps a custom muffler could change that.