Temp gauge reading " - - " ? ? ?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Darth Vader, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hey everyone need your help. . I replaced my clutch hose due to leaking fluid and now the engine temp just reads " - - ". The air temp works ok just not engine temp. It worked ok before I replaced the hose. I unbolted the banjos at both ends and joined the new hose at the bottom end with some wire and pulled through. It met some resistance half way but with a bit of gentle forward and backwards it went through . Bolted back up and bled , job done or so I thought . I've had a peer into the depths of the V but can't see any obvious broken wires . Where to look now ? ? ? Can I ride it showing " -- " or do I need to pull it to bits ?

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    My first guess here, and only a guess, is you knock the leads off the sensor? there on the left radiator? at the least pull the left side faring.

3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    RVFR's guess is half right. you may have loosened the sensor leads, but the sensor on the left radiator is for the fan switch.
    The sensor for the readout on the dashboard is located in the "V" portion of the block.

4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Here is a photo of the location of the water temperature sensor.

20170112_120002.jpg

It is a bit hard to see in the photo, but it is located between the front left intake port, and the smaller bypass hose coming from the thermostat housing.
    The green and yellow wires are barely visible attached to the connector.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    There ya go, half right these days ain't half bad ;)

6. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thanks for the reply. . This is the bit I can see but it still looks connected. I need a tiny pair of hands to reach in and wiggle it just to make sure it's on tight. Will it hurt my beloved vfr if I just switch the display to air temp and keep riding. My thermostat works so don't really want to pull the tank, air box and throttle bodies to find out the wire was still attached.

7. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    There are three wires attached to the connector. One of them is connected to the PGM FI unit.
    One is for the meter, and the last supplies the power.

If only the meter wire is affected, you will not have a problem riding your bike.
    However, if the power wire, or the PGM FI unit wire are grounded or disconnected, it could affect your air/ fuel mixture.
    In my mind, the PGM FI unit will think that the coolant temperature is always cold, and call for a rich mixture.
    If this is the case, your gas mileage will suffer. I think you would notice a difference in performance also.

I guess you could keep watch on your MPG to see if it drops, then do whatever it takes to repair if you notice a difference.

Edit; If the PGM FI unit is not receiving temperature information, the FI light on the dash should light up.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thank you for your advise Rllw Joe, that is what I was thinking but all is well now.
    I traced the wire from the sensor to where it plugs into the loom on the left hand side of the frame, unplugged it and the terminals were green with corrosion. A bath in coke a cola ( other colas are available ) got them clean again and now the gauge reads . I must of disturbed the plug and the corrosion prevented the connection hence no reading. The mighty VFR is 100% again .
    Thank you

9. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    That's good news!
    I'm glad you found the problem.
    No"what if ". It's good to know for sure.