O-Ring under the rear seat??

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by 54lariat, May 3, 2017.

1. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    What is this huge O-Ring for? Found it with the toolkit and owners manual under the rear passenger seat when I bought the bike.
    IMAG1689.jpg

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    If it was a 6th gen I would say it definitely looks like the standard rubber tie down used to hold the tool kit and owners manual in place under the seat. My guess is the 8th gen has a very similar set up.

On the 6th Gen models there were two of those fitted below the seat. Each would stretch from a small open hook welded onto the central frame member and running to another captured hook which was tucked deep inside the tail side panel. As it is now loose, it may be fun trying to fit it back where it came from.

With luck some kind folk with an 8th Gen will post up a picture of it fitted correctly beneath the seat. This is what they look like on a 6th Gen.. Its that rubber band holding down the yellow tyre repair kit pouch.

IMG_4628.jpg

SkiMad

3. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    It's for holding the toolkit or lock in place. Instructions in owners manual.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Agreed. Shout out to Skimad for the photo.

5. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow didn't even think about a tie down, since it was perfectly round I thought some sort of purpose built o-ring for something...but not a tie down.
    I googled "big o ring under VFR seat" with no results.

Thanks

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

6. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    There's 2 clips for it, one each side of the where the tools sit

7. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 New Member

United States
    I still see nothing to attach my oring too, so it just lays in there until my 600 mile service when I will ask dealership

8. MasterHo

MasterHo New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you, skimad4x4! I wondered why they're there (mine are unhooked from the center frame)

9. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    If the rubber band is unhooked from the centre frame member that is normal.

If you look closely at the photo - that end the band is intended to be stretched over the open hook tack welded onto the wide central frame member. When you need to access the tools it is then easy to slightly stretch the rubber band and unhook it at that end only.

However the hook retaining the other end of the band is different and pretty much inaccessible whilst the rear seat fairing panel is in place. The band is secured by a metal hook attachment but the hook is fully crimped around the rubber band, to ensure that end of the band always stays attached to the frame member running inside the rear fairing panel.

I hope that makes sense.

SkiMad

10. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey skimad, no offense, but your picture and description of the 6th gen under-seat area are useless with answering where it hooks on the 8th gen. The 2 bikes are 100% different back there...the rear subframe was completely changed on the 8th gen.

11. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    No offense taken and absolutely true - however I was responding to the most recent post by Masterho - who as you can see only has a 6th Gen..... Unfortunately it seems 6th Gen and 8th Gen threads are getting tangled.

As I said in my initial response, it would be great if someone who actually has an 8th Gen could check whether 8th Gen models also use an O ring to hold the tool kit in place and if possible post up a photo showing how it is fitted. Perhaps you could assist?

Thanks

SkiMad

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Holy Cheeses! Honda is still doing stuff like that just to make us go oot and buy a bunch of Orings.

13. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    I did my own thing for now. I had a plastic hook clip and an O-Ring to work with, I ended up using a zip tie on one side so the Rubber would not fall out and then I hooked in on the plastic clip on the other side. The rubber clip is perfectly sized so I think it was made for it.... but it's plastic so I dont know how long it will keep..... UV Zip Tie to the rescue!

I stumbled across another pic of an 8th Gen with the rubber running from front to back and the toolkit moved back more and turned 90*.

I will do something different later, for now I just needed to have a phone charger working!!

[​IMG]

14. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    So i guess it's practically ancient now not to have a phone charger while you're riding a VFR ???? As if that isn't enough entertainment !? :shame:

15. Badbilly

United States
    One can never tell when Oprah will call or great leader will tweet another purge.

16. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    That's all ridiculous talk. Get with the program gents.

There is an app called WAZE that has helped me avoid driving awards, debris on road and traffic jams. Not to mention when you are exploring new backroads and you make a turn down a long dead end road just to come face to face with some weird backwoods folk.... ability to see said dead end is a great bonus.

17. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    54lariat, I have never needed an app. I am curious about it, but I don't think that there are to many "some weird backwoods folk" in Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico etc.;-) I have to come down to Texas some time and see what you are talking about. But we all know or should know that Texas and Utah have the largest amount of guns per capita in the Republic. I think that it is because both wanted to be their own country in the beginning of both
    !;-)

18. ManxVFR

ManxVFR New Member

Isle of Man
    Map
    Read this thread a while ago and been meaning to take a pic - finally, here it is.

So there are two O-rings on mine, one for the tool kit and one for additional items I guess.

Hope this helps, although I might be a little late !

[​IMG]

19. Badbilly

United States
    I agree. Just the other day I made a wrong turn into a gated community and had to deal with a rent a cop with an IQ that was way below room temperature which is just about the same thing as a dead end road. Same damned thing at Wal*Mart too. I'm thinking the best way to get with the program is to get one of those heads up crash helmets like the Army has for their chopper pilots. I figure with one of those, I won't have to watch the road at all.

If your Oring breaks under the seat and the dealer doesn't have a replacement in stock, what us guys who have bikes that never came with them use are sections cut from old inner tubes. We used to call them Texas Bungees.

20. Badbilly

United States
    Well, It's a good thing great leader figured oot how to keep that at a minimum danger level for the rest of us more peaceful types. The two could have merged and imagine a bunch of East Texas Baptists and Mormons all with a shitload of guns duking it out with hot lead.