Stebel Horn and USB Charger install on the 8th Gen

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by 54lariat, May 5, 2017.

1. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    I run a Stebel Nautilus on the Miata and the Polaris Ranger, I also had one on my M109. Im thinking about installing on the VFR. I did some searching and don't see anyone with the 8th gen using them so I figured I would post up here and see if anyone has. I was looking around and from first glance I dont see a great spot for one but Ill have to dig a little deeper later.

Next order of business would be some sort of USB charger port up by the neck, maybe something with a rubber plug to keep the elements out when not in use. Anyone have any clever mounting options on the 8th gens? Or tips on where they routed the wiring before I dive in?

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Someone has fitted an after market horn cant remember whether it was here or the other site. Loads of pics with it too. Keep my usb under the seat, sat nav is powered to the front. just follow the cable routing under the tank.
    Power is via accessory fusebox which triggers the relay from the accessory feed.

3. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    Did you remove tank to chase wire through?

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I have done these things on my 6 Gen so not sure if how I did it would be helpful or mounting positions or methods. I can say though, regardless of bike, that using a programmable power controller or connection block is highly recommended. Fuzeblock makes a nice connection block that give you the ability to set a circuit up as always live or switched.

Always live circuits are easy, as you can just tap off the battery but switched circuits require finding a lead that only comes on with the ignition. In the this regard I chose to use the license plate light circuit as it is relatively harmless if screw it up or blow its fuse, versus the brake light power lead.

I'll see if I have pics of my USB setup that I can post up for you, as this setup would be universal. At least the method and location I used.

Here's a link to the Fuzeblock product. http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Found some pics for you.

This is the USB setup I put on the inside of the front right cowl of my 6 Gen. I just used industrial strength "Velcro" to mount it to the cowl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as horn mounts, I have the Sound Bomb Mini, which is a bit smaller than the Stebel. I mounted this behind the left side fairing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Be sure to wire in the relay for the horn too.

[​IMG]

Ronsk likes this.
  6. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice!! Those are groovy little fuse blocks, and a great size too. I will get my materials together before I start. I'm often OCD about all my work so it will probably take a couple nights. Here are a few pics of my Ranger when it was brand new and I was starting the wiring.

https://www.tmcfabworx.com/polaris-ranger-custom-work

7. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Just lift the front of tank and prop it up instructions In User manual. Plenty of space , depending where you want unit may not even need to lift tank.

8. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    I've got a stebel nautilus knockoff installed in the upper right fairing on my 5th gen. just forward and above the radiator. I'm not sure the 8th has the same room.

take the one off your miata, pull some bodywork on the bike and play around.

9. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    From the looks it does not appear to be an ideal spot to mount it. Lower rad, upper rad and top is the oil cooler. Maybe I can just upgrade the OEM donut horn with the other Stebel donut horn and make some improvement