Leans and shakes.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Padmerik, May 7, 2017.

1. Padmerik

Padmerik New Member

Hi everyone. Just picked my first VFR. It's a 94. I'm getting a harsh lean and pull to the right while riding, also if I get off the gas and take my hands of the bar the front shimmies and shakes. The shake gets worse until I grab back ahold of the bars. Only been able to test this for a few seconds at a time, because the shaking gets bad enough I worry about going into a tank slapper. Seems to happen at all speeds but I haven't tested it over 50mph for safety sake. I've owned 3 other bikes: 04 599 Hornet, 03 CBR600RR and a Yamaha FZ08 and I've never had anything like this. I know bikes can lean with road crowns and conditions but this is a significant lean to the right. I can't counter with counter leaning alone it needs input on the bars to correct. I've researched what I can online so far and most advice leads to poorly adjusted rear wheel. This is my first single sided swingarm bike, so I don't know if or how the rear wheel could be out of alignment other than a bent frame. Appreciate any feedback, ideas, or even where to start. Thanks.

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Forks slightly twisted is what springs to mind immediately. Is there accident damage?

3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Check alignment first. With a friend hold the bike upright. Get a pair of 8ft 'straight' planks and place them one on each side of the rear tyre so that the bike runs alongside them. Each piece of wood has to touch the rear wheel in 2 places. This will show if the front is aligned with the back - hold handlebars straight.. the gap between the front tyre and the planks should be the same.

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Leaning to one side could just be the position of the front wheel axle in the left clamp. The right clamp position is fixed by the big axle nut but the left clamp can slide in or out in position along the axle with a bit of fork flex. The effect of that is to move the contact patch slightly to the side with respect to the centre of gravity and that can induce a pull to one side. I'd suggest you loosen the left and right clamps and bounce the forks a few times to let the axle settle to its most naturally aligned position, and then re-tighten right, bounce again, tighten left.

As for shakes, these get worse with a flat worn tyre profile, maybe you just need new rubber? You may also need to check the steering head bearings as these may be too loose, or dented/notchy which could also cause a pull to one side.

5. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Front tyre not balanced would be my first guess. The rear tyre can not be out of alignment with a single sided swinger unlike a conventional swing arm with regards to tensioning the chain( you know , wind the left side then measure, then the right etc ) unless it's been in a smash.

6. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Totally off topic I know, but Pete, your VFR is gorgeous! Love the profile pic!

Sorry OP just had to say it!

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, first welcome to the crazy world of VFR ownership. Second, 4th gens will shake coming down thorough 40 mph hands off. Kinda their habit they come with, Ah, but there's a fix, called Tires. Seems as though the front tire profile plays into this, get a tire that doesn't have a center-line, for example pirelis have a zig zag pattern to them, once I had those install the problem went away. But there could be other issues as you say it pulls too, so yes check the forks in the triple trees, SSSA don't have any alignment that can be adjusted so nothing here to get worried about unless the rear bearing is toast.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'd check the front wheel for trueness and the bearings as well. This also applies to the steering head bearings, check them too. A few have mentioned aligning the forks so I'll just drop this video right here...

[video=youtube;vSunBRB6-r8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLRS52UHF-MfloqvvJl3IN6aKFlofPmwiX&v=vSunBRB6-r8[/video]

9. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    I would do a run up on the brakes.

10. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    From the title I thought this was a thread aboot the hangover on Sunday after R3.

11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Had the title been, 'Leans, Shakes and Spews', then for sure!

12. Padmerik

Padmerik New Member

Alrighty thanks for all the quick replies. I have my work set up for me this weekend. I'll start at the top and work my way through and see if anything helps.

13. brentlbaker

brentlbaker New Member

Once happened to me with a brand new front tire. It was terrible and I made the dealer put a new one on. Problem fixed.

14. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thanks Danny, Which bike? Lol

The small one is my daughters..., possibly tryouts in July - lol

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Very edumacational D
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    An old issue but there were posts when your '94 was new that suggested that the lower fork bushings were too loose a fit into the lower tube, and i found it to be true when i cleaned out and changed fork oil on my '97.

Never a good idea to take hands off the bars while riding !