6th gear transmission issues

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by jhawley, May 8, 2017.

1. jhawley

jhawley New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a 2010 vfr with 33,000 miles on it.

I recenty tried to the bleed the clutch and after some issues Everything was good.

Over the weekend I was riding on the highway in 6th and tried to pass traffic and as I rolled on in top gear it was as if the bike was skipping over teeth in the gear. It almost felt like a chain driven bike skipping teeth on the chain.

I went home and changed the oil. After a fiasco of dealing with a stuck on oil filter. Fresh Mobil one went in. There was a little but a glitter in the oil drain pan.

I but everying think back together and went for a ride and low and behold it's still having the issue.

While i was in thrrr I also decided to drain the rear dif fluid as well. After another disastrous bout of wrenching II nearly stripped the drain bolt and then managed to sheer of the fill plug bolt.

I've been googling the hell out of this and haven't come up with much. Has anyone had to have a vfr tranny rebuilt and if so would anyone how many arms and legs is this going to cost.

2. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Could be a few different things. The expensive part is just getting to the trans. to take a look. Not sure how hard it is on your bike. Once into the trans. it could be a bent shift fork broken spring, shift dog(s) worn/rounded off. I don't think that will be too expensive. Hopefully you'll get away with replacing a gear pair. Read up in the manual, then call some shops if you are not doing it yourself. It is not terribly difficult, but it is a fairly long job. Find a shop with a lower shop rate, or a Honda Technician that does work out of his garage. Even if he is not a Honda Tech. he should be able to help you. Was there some traumatic event(s) that led to this? If so, let the guy fixing it know.

3. B6_Dolphin

B6_Dolphin New Member

United States
    Are you sure it wasn't a misfire? How many miles do the plugs have on them? Are the coil packs original?

When rolling-on in top gear, it is the most likely time for a misfire to occur, and it can feel like the transmission is acting strange. I've seen this behavior in both motorcycles and cars, where top gear acceleration with a low rpm/heavy load can experience an issue as you describe.

For piece of mind, if you still have the old oil, request a sample kit from Blackstone Labs. They will send you a sample bottle and packaging to send the drained oil to their lab for analysis. The analysis is $35, not including postage. The analysis will indicate how much metal (iron, aluminum, etc.) is in the oil.

4. Kirk T

Kirk T New Member

United States
    Map
    Just came across this thread and it sounds like the same thing I am experiencing with my 2010 VFR1200F. What was the resolution to the problem you were having? Would appreciate hearing from you.

5. jhawley

jhawley New Member

United States
    Map
    Pretty sure that gear was toast. At the time i couldn't find dealer that wanted to touch it with a 10 foot pole in any kind of timely manner. And this happened in early May, so i just sold to a dealer and took a slight bath on it. But i did well selling all the accessories elsewhere.
    Ended up picking a minty 07 VFR800 with full luggage and only like 7K miles on it at the time.

6. Kirk T

Kirk T New Member

United States
    Map
    Was kind of afraid that might be the answer. Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity, are you happier with the VFR800?

7. jhawley

jhawley New Member

United States
    Map
    I kept it for 2 years, once my son was born i had no time to ride.

Pros:
    Smaller size and was way more nimble
    THE SOUND WHEN V-TEC kicked in!
    The side cases were actually useful

Cons:
    Everytime you have it throttle you missed the power of the 1200
    For my situation: the size of the 1200 was better for 2 up riding.
    I felt like it hated hispeed running. where as the 1200 would go into cruise missile mode

If there was a 1000CC vfr that sounded like the 800s I would be the happiest person

8. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I know this is a kind of zombie thread but there are quite a few reports of 6th gear transmission failure emerging. It starts with 6th but progressively gets worse until the whole gearbox is toast. Go to the VFR1200 forum on Bikers Oracle for tails of woe. It seems to only affect the early bikes 2010-2012 (before the bikes with TC) and it seems DCT bikes are unaffected. I haven't found anyone describing the root cause but some claim it is something to do with a failing clutch bearing.

9. jhawley

jhawley New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad to see my old thread keeps living lol.

The really crappy part was when my failed, I couldn’t get a dealer in Connecticut to touch it.
    So I had to offload it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Kirk T

Kirk T New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the info. I'll check out Bikers Oracle. I can tell it's gotten worse in 6th gear, but it is still limited to 6th gear. Haven't checked with any dealers about repairs yet or decided if I will attempt splitting the cases myself this winter. If I go with the dealer option, I'm sure I could probably pick up another bike for what that would cost. If I do this myself, it may never run again. Oh, well, glad it's not my only bike.