New vf500f owner. Fuel pump issue.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Quizno88, May 17, 2017.

1. Quizno88

Quizno88 New Member

So i have searched for my specific problem. Previous owner bypassed the vacuum line its always on. Fuel pump died. Tried gravity feeding it. That didn't seem to work. Carbs are cleaned and set up right. My friend is a mechanic. Ordered a new fuel pump should be there tomorrow. I want a second opinion on the fact that the vacuum line was bypassed. Would that affect the gravity feed on this bike?

2. Quizno88

Quizno88 New Member

No one has any info on this?

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    is the vacuum line open, plugged, or disconnected entirely ? there is one fitting on the petcock, on the back of the diaphragm, which must remain unconnected to anything.

Some owners disable the vacuum section, aS you discovered. do some flow tests to verify that you have good flow from tANK, and drain and flush the tank to avoid dirtying fresh carbs. :eagerness:

If petcock has been modified (correctly) no effect upon gravity feed.......but tank must beover 1/2 full! if you don't get good fuel delivery with the new (junk, chinese) pump, you'll need to bypass the fuel pump RELAY.

good luck with the 500, and be sure to inspect valve clearances and keep revs below 9k.

4. Quizno88

Quizno88 New Member

Thanks for the info. It had plenty flow. My driveway got washed with it. I found out there was a idle jet that snapped. So now it has 3 40 idle Jets and one 35 now. Put everything back together and now it started right up. Have to adjust the idle screws slightly. Is there a informational video on how to check the valve clearance?

5. Quizno88

Quizno88 New Member

Thanks for all the great info, look forward to getting more information off this forum.