Another petcock question.VF500f

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Chasjen, May 18, 2017.

1. Chasjen

Chasjen New Member

United States
    Hi All,

First time post. My name is Charlie and I live in central ohio. I have way to many old bikes with many small problems.

Current problem: I have an 86 VF500f. Recently had it painted but used an 85 tank due to damage on the original. So my original petcock doesn't fit the tank and an 84-85 petcock won't fit the 86 fuel line. So brainstorming.....I thought about drilling out the tank to accept the larger tap. Bad idea? Modify the petcock output? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Chasjen

Chasjen New Member

United States
    oops...I guess it not my first post. Doh!

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Charlie

It is a very long time since I last owned a bike with a petcock and it was not a VFR so I cannot speak with any confidence on your question.

Personally I would tend to avoid messing directly with the tank assuming it is still in good order. If the issue is simply the hose diameters are different, could you not install an inline splice and use a couple of jubillee clips to link the old diameter pipe to the new diameter one?

SkiMad

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Just find a way to adapt the different fuel line sizes. For some reason, I even think the bolt spacing on the 2 petcocks is different as well. You will still have plenty of flow using the smaller 84-85 line to the larger 86.

5. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Yes. I think this was covered before(what hasn't been?) and the consensus was swapping the petcocks is not worth the trouble. So you will need to find and fit an 84/85 petcock for your tank. The fuel line is just a rubber hose so just modify to fit.