Brand new 2015 stuck in 5th gear. WTF!?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by NeomaRohming, May 18, 2017.

1. NeomaRohming

NeomaRohming New Member

United States
    Map
    Soooooo. I bought a brand new (zero miles) 2015 VFR800 on May 5th from a local dealership.
    First 125 miles no problem, but today I'm riding, approach a turn, attempt to downshift from 5th but it won't downshift. The digital gear display is giving me this squiggly figure eight thingy but I press the shifter; nothing. I had to ride it home in 5th gear - tons of fun in stop and go traffic.

Dealership says they've never heard of such a thing and can't get it in until Tuesday at the earliest.

Any ideas? This is my primary ride and I'm heartbroken!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

IMO best to let the dealer handle it, as it is new and under warranty. I will say, this does seem very rare, especially for a VFR.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    The shift lever moves its full range of motion but won't shift the transmission? Or the shift lever won't move at all?

Interesting . . .

4. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    That sucks. Truck or trailer it to the dealer, or have them pick it up.

5. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Hmmm...a couple times I've had trouble getting into first from neutral after sitting at a red light but I've never experienced your problem - hopefully it's nothing major. In my case I just rocked the bike back and forth a bit and it let me put it in first. I wonder if it may have something to do with your bike sitting around for two years before you bought it? Maybe the dealer didn't prep it properly. You say you can't downshift out of 5th but can you upshift to 6th?

6. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Didn't need that visual. Keep my mind out of the gutter, willya? :congratulatory:

7. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Here's a good tune for you - you filthy pervert :beguiled:

[video=youtube;KFWw1w-vT2Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFWw1w-vT2Y[/video]

8. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Sorry for your dilemma, I have had mine since late 2014 and been following most threads about the 8th gens and have not read about anybody else with your problem.

9. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Well it is an easy fix if it is the spindle or the center shift drum, the most likely. But you have screwed the pooch if it is the shift drum or an issue on one of the shafts.
    Just remember what the doctor said at your Aids test....think positive.

10. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    There's basically two parts to the gear shift mechanism, the detente mechanism that translates the pedal shaft movement to a one up or one down rotation of the shift drum, and the shift drum which is rotated and moves the shift forks which slide the gear dogs in/out. Sounds to me like your detente mechanism might have failed so you can't go back down the box, if so your dealer will be relieved as that is accessible through the cover behind the front sprocket. If it is any other failure then that is an engine out, split the cases job.

11. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    The shift drum, dogs, forks seem unlikely to fail. Unless defective. Which is what warranties are for.

12. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Hydraulic problem causing the clutch to not release ?

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Ooo... this ain't good. No matter what, this is for the dealer to work out, as you know it's under warranty, don't mess with it. Unfortunately this is going to be a major fix. Talk em into you need a loaner bike until. This is a rare one for sure. this is the trouble with man made objects, they're subject to failure at one point.

14. Quibble

Quibble New Member

United States
    Ive have the same issue rarely. I come up to a light, shifting down quickly, and feel the shifts not clicking to completion. Then i see the gear indicator show a no number, just a dash.

I have to ease out the clutch a bit and give it bit of gas like I'm about to gently star going forward. In this state the shift works and the gear indicator usually starts working. It feels like it hooks up and gets back into a gear.

I only recall this happening when shifting down quickly from high gears to low. I.e a stop light

My last bike (Suzuki Boulevard M50) had same issue occasionally. Had that bike for 15k miles and 4 years. Never seemed like a big deal to me. Sometimes when shifting down a lot of gears quickly, it trips up. Easy to sort out.

First time it happened on the VFR it took me like 30 seconds to figure out. Got it just before light went green lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I agaree as I have also had em get stuck, but 90% it's in second or so, usually it's just a major tug to get it back, this in 5th gear, SMH not so sure . and since it's new, no messing with it , or it will be your fault.

16. NeomaRohming

NeomaRohming New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks everyone. I will DEFINITELY NOT BE MESSING WITH IT. Just curious about this issue since no one seems to have heard of it before.
    Some responses to your comments above:
    The shifter deflects down and up, just no "click", no response from the transmission, and no change in the shift indicator wackiness.
    I rode it the 35+ miles home in stop and go traffic - trust me, no clutching, gassing, shifting combinations healed it.
    The dealership is an hour twenty away and no loaner bikes :-(
    I'm a good rider and did not mash the lever so no detante distortion due to my mishandling.
    If it's a hydraulic problem, there's no evidence of leaks and the reservoir is still full.

I'll let you know how it resolves.

Fingers crossed and thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate the support.

17. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Demand a loaner bike, or that they pay for a hire bike for you. They have sold you something unfit for purpose. Play hardball.

18. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Do you have a lemon law in your state? Make sure you document all correspondence and conversations. Contact Honda of America with a registered letter. Owners of VFR1200s kept at it until they got results.

19. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Totally agree this is way off the norm so Honda and company need to step up to the plate here. and do right by the whole fall out. But be ready mentally for a slight battle. some folks just like to blow it off and swept it under something on their time line. Nope that wont do, they need to move and move now. Though I've heard good things and bad, it's such a people thing where they need to give a shiet. Good luck.

20. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Strange have never heard of anything like this at all. Did you check the lever wasn't fouling?