Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country
    My Ride
    Broken 2015 VFR800
    Thanks

Brand new 2015 stuck in 5th gear. WTF!?

Soooooo. I bought a brand new (zero miles) 2015 VFR800 on May 5th from a local dealership.
    First 125 miles no problem, but today I'm riding, approach a turn, attempt to downshift from 5th but it won't downshift. The digital gear display is giving me this squiggly figure eight thingy but I press the shifter; nothing. I had to ride it home in 5th gear - tons of fun in stop and go traffic.

Dealership says they've never heard of such a thing and can't get it in until Tuesday at the earliest.

Any ideas? This is my primary ride and I'm heartbroken!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2009 Honda VFR800 2001 Honda VFR800 (in limbo) 1995 Ducati 900SS SP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,023 Posts
    IMO best to let the dealer handle it, as it is new and under warranty. I will say, this does seem very rare, especially for a VFR.
    “You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Country
    My Ride
    STOLEN AND RECOVERED!!! - 2004 VFR (PCIII with map from EDR in Portland, Leo Vince exhaust, CZ wheels, Galfer rotors, Ohlins shock, GP fork modification, and other miscelaneous stuff) ; 1998 Ducati 748; 2016 BMW R1200RS
    Thanks
    The shift lever moves its full range of motion but won't shift the transmission? Or the shift lever won't move at all?

Interesting . . .

Country
    My Ride
    1998 Honda VFR800 - Back in Red! 2003 Aprilia Tuno 2007 Aprilia Tuono
    Thanks
    That sucks. Truck or trailer it to the dealer, or have them pick it up.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

Country
    My Ride
    2014 Pearl White Interceptor Deluxe, Mods: Delkevic Mini Carbon exhaust + 3hp, Overseas VFR badges +10hp
    Thanks
    Hmmm...a couple times I've had trouble getting into first from neutral after sitting at a red light but I've never experienced your problem - hopefully it's nothing major. In my case I just rocked the bike back and forth a bit and it let me put it in first. I wonder if it may have something to do with your bike sitting around for two years before you bought it? Maybe the dealer didn't prep it properly. You say you can't downshift out of 5th but can you upshift to 6th?
    Click HERE for info on VFR groupride in St. Augustine May 20th with vintage bike show!
    Click HERE to check out my VFR MotoVlog!

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    In my case I just rocked the bike back and forth a bit and it let me put it in first.
    Didn't need that visual. Keep my mind out of the gutter, willya?
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

Country
    My Ride
    2014 Pearl White Interceptor Deluxe, Mods: Delkevic Mini Carbon exhaust + 3hp, Overseas VFR badges +10hp
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VFR4Lee View Post
    Didn't need that visual. Keep my mind out of the gutter, willya?
    Here's a good tune for you - you filthy pervert

Click HERE for info on VFR groupride in St. Augustine May 20th with vintage bike show!
    Click HERE to check out my VFR MotoVlog!

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2014 VFR800 Deluxe 1983 VF750F
    Thanks
    Sorry for your dilemma, I have had mine since late 2014 and been following most threads about the 8th gens and have not read about anybody else with your problem.
    14 Red VFR Deluxe - OEM Panniers and Quick Shifter - Knight Design Pegs - MotoPumps Handle bar risers
    83 VF750F (Owned since new) - Corbin Seat - Vance & Hines Pipes/Kerker Slip ons - FOX Shock - Lockart Oil Cooler - K&N Air Filter!

Inventor of the Mullet

Country
    My Ride
    2007 RWB SUPERCHARGED / 1986 750 SSA
    Thanks
    Well it is an easy fix if it is the spindle or the center shift drum, the most likely. But you have screwed the pooch if it is the shift drum or an issue on one of the shafts.
    Just remember what the doctor said at your Aids test....think positive.
    I am nuttier than a squirrel turd "Nancy Pelosi"

My theme music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r-M9gipm9s

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out a car window.

Country
    My Ride
    VFR800 5th Gen 1999, 1997 VTR1000F, 1990 ST1100
    Thanks
    There's basically two parts to the gear shift mechanism, the detente mechanism that translates the pedal shaft movement to a one up or one down rotation of the shift drum, and the shift drum which is rotated and moves the shift forks which slide the gear dogs in/out. Sounds to me like your detente mechanism might have failed so you can't go back down the box, if so your dealer will be relieved as that is accessible through the cover behind the front sprocket. If it is any other failure then that is an engine out, split the cases job.
    I ride faster than slow riders, and slower than fast ones.

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    The shift drum, dogs, forks seem unlikely to fail. Unless defective. Which is what warranties are for.

Country
    My Ride
    '86 VFR 700F X3/ '97 VFR 750F/ '89 NT 650 HAWK/ '86 Yamaha Radian X2/ '66 Yamaha YL-1/ '88 VTR 250 / '90 VTR 250/ '73 CB 125
    Thanks
    Hydraulic problem causing the clutch to not release ?

" Goin' to Hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride. "

FRACKING: kiss your aquifer good-bye !!

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 846 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ooo... this ain't good. No matter what, this is for the dealer to work out, as you know it's under warranty, don't mess with it. Unfortunately this is going to be a major fix. Talk em into you need a loaner bike until. This is a rare one for sure. this is the trouble with man made objects, they're subject to failure at one point.
    Opportunity is where you anticipate it.

Making the VFR have more get up and go. Header build fund @ https://www.gofundme.com/vfr-header-build

[

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RVFR For This Useful Post:

staffybull (05-19-2017)

Country
    Thanks

Brand new 2015 stuck in 5th gear. WTF!?

Quote Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
    Hmmm...a couple times I've had trouble getting into first from neutral after sitting at a red light but I've never experienced your problem - hopefully it's nothing major. In my case I just rocked the bike back and forth a bit and it let me put it in first. I wonder if it may have something to do with your bike sitting around for two years before you bought it? Maybe the dealer didn't prep it properly. You say you can't downshift out of 5th but can you upshift to 6th?
    Ive have the same issue rarely. I come up to a light, shifting down quickly, and feel the shifts not clicking to completion. Then i see the gear indicator show a no number, just a dash.

I have to ease out the clutch a bit and give it bit of gas like I'm about to gently star going forward. In this state the shift works and the gear indicator usually starts working. It feels like it hooks up and gets back into a gear.

I only recall this happening when shifting down quickly from high gears to low. I.e a stop light

My last bike (Suzuki Boulevard M50) had same issue occasionally. Had that bike for 15k miles and 4 years. Never seemed like a big deal to me. Sometimes when shifting down a lot of gears quickly, it trips up. Easy to sort out.

First time it happened on the VFR it took me like 30 seconds to figure out. Got it just before light went green lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I agaree as I have also had em get stuck, but 90% it's in second or so, usually it's just a major tug to get it back, this in 5th gear, SMH not so sure . and since it's new, no messing with it , or it will be your fault.

Making the VFR have more get up and go. Header build fund @ https://www.gofundme.com/vfr-header-build

[

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RVFR For This Useful Post:

staffybull (05-19-2017)

Country
    My Ride
    Broken 2015 VFR800
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I will DEFINITELY NOT BE MESSING WITH IT. Just curious about this issue since no one seems to have heard of it before.
    Some responses to your comments above:
    The shifter deflects down and up, just no "click", no response from the transmission, and no change in the shift indicator wackiness.
    I rode it the 35+ miles home in stop and go traffic - trust me, no clutching, gassing, shifting combinations healed it.
    The dealership is an hour twenty away and no loaner bikes :-(
    I'm a good rider and did not mash the lever so no detante distortion due to my mishandling.
    If it's a hydraulic problem, there's no evidence of leaks and the reservoir is still full.

I'll let you know how it resolves.

Fingers crossed and thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate the support.

Country
    My Ride
    2016 VFR800
    Thanks
    Demand a loaner bike, or that they pay for a hire bike for you. They have sold you something unfit for purpose. Play hardball.
    2016 pearl white VFR800. Honda colour coded top box with back rest (so the gf will get on the bike) Powerbronze rear hugger, white R&G crash bobbins, Puig tinted double bubble screen, Honda quickshifter, telfizer ram mount, power supply and iphone 6s waterproof case.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Nelix For This Useful Post:

duccmann (05-19-2017)

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Do you have a lemon law in your state? Make sure you document all correspondence and conversations. Contact Honda of America with a registered letter. Owners of VFR1200s kept at it until they got results.
    14 Red VFR Deluxe - OEM Panniers and Quick Shifter - Knight Design Pegs - MotoPumps Handle bar risers
    83 VF750F (Owned since new) - Corbin Seat - Vance & Hines Pipes/Kerker Slip ons - FOX Shock - Lockart Oil Cooler - K&N Air Filter!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Allyance For This Useful Post:

DriftingAlong (05-19-2017)

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree this is way off the norm so Honda and company need to step up to the plate here. and do right by the whole fall out. But be ready mentally for a slight battle. some folks just like to blow it off and swept it under something on their time line. Nope that wont do, they need to move and move now. Though I've heard good things and bad, it's such a people thing where they need to give a shiet. Good luck.

[

Country
    My Ride
    Cbr600FV, VFR 800fe
    Thanks
    Strange have never heard of anything like this at all. Did you check the lever wasn't fouling?
    Tights, tight, too tights fucked

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Remind the dealer they didn't build the bike, they didn't do anything wrong (unless there was no oil in the engine!), they are going to get a good warranty claim, hopefully a new engine.

Country
    My Ride
    '86 VFR 700F X3/ '97 VFR 750F/ '89 NT 650 HAWK/ '86 Yamaha Radian X2/ '66 Yamaha YL-1/ '88 VTR 250 / '90 VTR 250/ '73 CB 125
    Thanks
    newer riders need to be aware that kicking too hard or using excess force on the shift lever can cause bent shift forks and difficulty getting gears.

" Goin' to Hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride. "

FRACKING: kiss your aquifer good-bye !!

Inventor of the Mullet

Country
    My Ride
    2007 RWB SUPERCHARGED / 1986 750 SSA
    Thanks
    I got 18 cold Coors light that says it is something simple and cases do not need to be split. Any takers?
    I am nuttier than a squirrel turd "Nancy Pelosi"

My theme music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r-M9gipm9s

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out a car window.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TOE CUTTER For This Useful Post:

Alaskan (05-19-2017)

Country
    My Ride
    VFR800 5th Gen 1999, 1997 VTR1000F, 1990 ST1100
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TOE CUTTER View Post
    I got 18 cold Coors light that says it is something simple and cases do not need to be split. Any takers?
    Not here; my guess is the fault will be in the detente mechanism around the shift star.
    I ride faster than slow riders, and slower than fast ones.

Country
    Thanks
    I don't know anything about anything, but if l was to guess, l would say the OP shifted too gently, and something is simply jammed up. I think the fix is going to be cheap and easy.

Always remember to release the cluch between down shifts. Don't "double downshift".

Country
    My Ride
    2016 VFR800
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TOE CUTTER View Post
    Ah Coors light, that is a bet not worth winning.
    2016 pearl white VFR800. Honda colour coded top box with back rest (so the gf will get on the bike) Powerbronze rear hugger, white R&G crash bobbins, Puig tinted double bubble screen, Honda quickshifter, telfizer ram mount, power supply and iphone 6s waterproof case.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Nelix For This Useful Post:

squirrelman (05-20-2017)

Country
    My Ride
    Broken 2015 VFR800
    Thanks
    Lol. Thank you for both opinions that the operator was at error here (too hard and too soft shifting). I've been riding for 20 years, on three continents, and was a motorcycle safety instructor with Team Oregon. I was taking the bike out for a nice easy ride to get her mileage up for the 600 mile service and most definitely did nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm sincerely hoping for a simple fix (for many reasons but not the least of which this is my ONLY form of transportation. Yes, I ride a bike as a primary, year round) but will let y'all know when I hear back from the dealership. She goes in Tuesday.

Country
    Thanks
    Hmmmmm, who do l trust more? Honda motor company, or some dude on the internet that says "WTF"?

20 years, huh? I had 16 in, when you got started.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    I take the OP's word for what happened, we are always saying how bullet proof the Honda's motors are, yet any manufacturer can have a defect in assembly or fabrication. Pretty low comment for some who just lost the use of his new bike through no fault of his own.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Allyance For This Useful Post:

NeomaRohming (Yesterday)

Country
    My Ride
    2016 VFR800
    Thanks
    No reason to disbelieve the op.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Nelix For This Useful Post:

NeomaRohming (Yesterday)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast