1998/1999 headers giving 6th gen canisters bad direction

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by sfdownhill, May 18, 2017.

1. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello all - I have successfully mounted a newly ceramic coated set of 1998/1999 catless headers to my friend's 6th gen. I have unsuccessfully mounted stock 6th gen canisters to the 98/99 headers. [We will be installing a Power Commander V, so will not require 02 sensors or associated bungs]

Sorry I don't have photos yet, but I'll be able to post some by this Saturday.

The 98/99 headers have a couple minor dings from their life before the ceramic coating, but nothing major. I do not know their history. After aligning the stock 6th gen exhaust canister assembly to its mounting points, it is 5mm too high, 15mm too far left, and rotated a tad so that the support bolts won't line up even if its position was correct. This is the same stock 6th gen canister assembly that earlier fit the stock 6th gen headers on this motorcycle with no problem, so I suspect the new used headers are the cause of the problem. I have used all new OEM copper crush washers and all new OEM exhaust sleeve gaskets and have torqued the cylinder exhaust studs very gradually and evenly to their specified torque. Having read MVinOZ's thread on vfrd and seeing how much bending of exhaust he did with leverage and force, I attempted to use some leverage of my own to persuade the canisters to move into place, but stopped when I thought more force might sacrifice a cylinder stud.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the headers and canister assembly to line up when they prefer to misbehave? The motorcycle's owner suggested heating to bend via running the engine or using a butane torch. To me, it didn't seem the engine would generate enough heat that far back in the exhaust system to help persuade the exhaust. I am researching whether direct application of a high heat flame [Like a torch] would be detrimental to the ceramic coating.

Thanks for any assistance!

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    LOL you do recall what I went through?

[​IMG]

Though my issue was with it lining up to the head. What you're dealing with just might be where you'll need to make a adapter of some sorts. I doubt no matter how hot you get things, BTW thats trickier than it looks, where you'll get it right where there's no extra tension, just saying play it slow or?? so might look into taking it to your favorite fabricator like Gabe here.. Opps sorry.

3. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Another bad case of "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is..."

4. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks RVFR - I do recall your header wrestling match. You are correct in observing that I am facing a different gremlin - all my header studs lined up and torqued down fine. It's a case of the headers' final collector sending the canister assembly to a distinctly unsociable location. If it comes to heating tubes, I will have an exhaust professional do the delicate work. My first attempt at most tasks is best applied to an older project that is already rough around the edges.

5. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey ksoholm - you've got me chuckling with your phrase "if it ain't broke, fix it til it is" and I intend to plagerise it liberally...

6. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map

Me too...

7. MechTech

MechTech New Member

United States
    I bought this '92 from my son and he bought it from a guy in Texas. It has less than 10,000 miles on it and shows no signs of major wear or abuse. The previous owner put 135 main jets in it and perhaps new needles. The headers have been swapped and a Two Brothers can has been installed. The exhaust is routed to the left side now so the rear wheel is fully exposed and I like it that way. I am thinking about having the headers ceramic coated. Can anyone give some advice here? I would like to do inside and out. Do most shops have the ability to boil the pipes clean inside and out? Any suggestions based on experience? Any clue who makes the headers? They fit like a glove. IMG_20180916_154238.jpg IMG_20180916_154326.jpg IMG_20180916_154238.jpg IMG_20180916_154326.jpg IMG_20180916_154326.jpg IMG_20180916_154238.jpg

RVFR likes this.
  8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  9. MechTech

MechTech New Member

United States
    I did find out that the entire exhaust was manufactured by Two Brothers Racing. Of course they dont support this bike anymore. There is a dent in one of the headers. I may use the heat and air pressure trick to fix it. If I decide to go that route I'll make a video of the process.

10. cbviffer

cbviffer New Member

Canada
    Dents don't make a difference in power (engine masters tested this), unless the look of it bothers you, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    Left exit is pretty sweet looking!
    Good luck

11. cbviffer

cbviffer New Member

Canada
    I haven't put a 98/99 header on a newer VFR like you're trying, but from doing exhausts on other bikes, usually you don't tighten anything until you get the whole system sort of in place where you want it. If you start tightening at one end you usually end up fighting it as you go.
    Good luck, leave the hot wrench as a last resort