Is Crossrunner free of electrical problems?

Discussion in 'Crossrunner' started by soh, May 19, 2017.

1. soh

soh New Member

Poland
    Map
    Hi guys
    I own 2006 Interceptor and I think I have enough of electrical problems. I'm thinking about switching to other machine. I didn't considered Honda for this, but then I realized that Crossrunner will probably suit my needs. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I should trust Honda anymore. Any thoughts? Preliminary search doesn't suggest any problems with electrical system.

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    All low voltage, high current systems are suseptable to high resistance and corrosion. Boats, bikes etc that are exposed to the elements are more likely to have problems with age. You are trying to compare a 2006 bike to a new one, don't think it has anything to do with brands. I have two Hondas in the driveway, one is 33 years old and one is 3 years old, I have had to clean up many connectors on the old girl to keep it running, do I blame Honda, no, just a fact of life with low voltage systems. Buy a new bike that you really want and keep an eye on all things electrical.

3. soh

soh New Member

Poland
    Map
    You have a good point in here, but... I had a 2008 Suzuki bike and currently have 2007 Kawasaki, 2001 and 1985 Yamahas (with Suzuki having similar electrical power usage I believe). None of them had electrical problems like VFR800 Interceptor. Moreover research (including this site) suggests, that even young Interceptors with low millage had electrical problems. Therefore we can conclude, that something is wrong with this model.

I understand that Crossrunner is much younger bike, and as I understand not that much popular which means not that many people rides them, therefore potential problems might not be discovered yet. But I'm just asking. Maybe someone did a lot of miles and have something interesting to share. If there will be no comments in this thread then I guess it will be a good sign.

PS. My low trust in Honda at this point is of course biased, but can you blame me?

4. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Soh and welcome to the MadHouse:welcome:

I guess the answer to your question depends on which version of the Crossrunner you are thinking of buying. The original 2006-2014 version of the Crossrunner was based directly on the 800 VFR model which you appear to have issues with. I cannot be certain but it seems likely that the early Crossrunner models all have basically same "bought in" electrical system and potentially all the same issues ...

The current 2015+ Crossrunner is however based on the latest VFR800F model and probably benefits from the much improved electrical system (especially the RR). So far I have not seen a single report of any of the 2014+ VFR800F models suffering from the sort of electrical gremlins which beset earlier VFR models. Inherently if you decide to buy a 2015+ Crossrunner you will be getting a very versatile and reliable motorbike.

Good luck - post up some photos if you decide to buy a crossrunner.

SkiMad

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Don't know about other manufacturers, but Honda's choice for a connector for the three stator leads is definitely poor. That connector carries more than 30 amps at times and any resistance will cause heat and melt connector. A higher rated sealed connector would have saved us all a lot of grief.

6. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I'd be more concerned that they have smoothed out the vtec issue properly this time, electrical issues can be sorted at least.
    the crossrunner does look a great option.

7. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Engine and electrics same as new vfr. Haven't heard of any faults on them.