1993 VFR 750 wont stay running!! Help

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Stevehoff, May 20, 2017.

1. Stevehoff

Stevehoff New Member

Map
    I changed the solenoid and now it starts and runs but dies as soon as I release the start button.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and welcome to the MadHouse.:welcome:

Whilst I admire brevity in posts - to respond sensibly to this sort of question I guess we need to know a bit more about your bike and its history. Stuff you probably know but we don't. I had a look at your other posts and they raise more questions than answers.

So have your just purchased the bike? Or is this a bike you have had for ages which has suddenly stopped running? Have you seen the bike running well? If so how long ago? When was it last serviced?

You seem to be focusing on things electrical, which is probably justified as VFRs have a bit of a reputation for electrical gremlins, but if you are trying to start a long parked bike with "stale fuel" still in the tank you may simply have gummed up the carbs.

You mention replacing the solenoid (starter) - so it sounds like you found the bike would not crank. It might be worth getting back to basics. Engines need fuel, air and a spark to run. If any item is missing then it won't run. Inspect a plug to see if there is fuel and a decent spark. Critically a healthy spark depends on the coils and the health of the charging system. So is the battery fully charged and putting out decent volts? Have you got a volt meter to monitor volts?

If the bike is only firing whilst the starter is engaged - check the ignition circuits and safety interlocks - as it sounds like the plugs are not being energised once you stop cranking - so has anyone been messing with the wiring - removing an alarm?

It might help if you can post up a quick video so we can see what is happening.

Good Luck

SkiMad

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    try checking for sparks after verifying that clean, fresh fuel is in the tank and carbs are filled sufficiently with gas. :beguiled:

4. Stevehoff

Stevehoff New Member

Map
    The bike was running good 3 days prior the solenoid burned up so I ordered a new solenoid replace the solenoid and then it had no none of the lights lit up but then when I hit the ignition switch it fires and it'll stay running as long as I'm holding the ignition switch soon as I let off it dies yes the wiring does look a little messed with I am waiting on a stator and recoil I took the kill switch apart and everything looks to be fine will post video as soon as I'm able to thanks for the input

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    your regulator is fried and the wires are shorted, and or your stator wires are melted at the plug which = new stator. Simple, start peeling off body work and using your eyeballs, no DMM is required. If those plugs are fuked you need to replace. Don't bother testing components, waist of time. :peace:

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    But it could save money, eh ? :witless:

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Sorry. I am bleading money out of my arse hole.