5th & 6th Gen Main (Center) Stand Compatability/Interchangeability?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ridnout, May 21, 2017.

1. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Away from home, so only have the sixth gen with me and unable to compare both center stands together.

Are they compatible, interchangeable?

Part numbers are different but close:

5TH 50500-MBG-000 STAND, MAIN
    6TH 50500-MCW-D00 STAND, MAIN

Here is a pic: Main Stands, 5th & 6th respectively.jpg

From what I can tell from the fiche and some quick looks on eBay is that there is additional gusseting on the 6th gen models. The rest looks very similar. If I am correct, was the extra gusseting added because of the additional weight of the sixth gen & possible luggage?

In addition, I believe I have come up with a solution to cutting and welding the pieces without worry of failure at the weld. Because I need 1.5" cut from both legs, I would remove approximately 1.75" of tubing/material. From that point to aid in getting a proper level and orientation plus durability, a piece of cold rolled appropriately sized would be press fit upon reassembly. That 1/4" would allow the weld's bead to join the tubing & solid stock to offer extra strength. Of course, I'd clean the welds up nicely with a soft pad... What would be left would be pretty much weld and a solid joint.

What I haven't worked out is the stop for the center stand when in the lifted position (may not be anything but just thought of that). Any ideas?

Thanks & Much Appreciated.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I don't have a 5th Gen to compare with but the visible difference between the two seems to be where the cross member is welded to the legs. For the 6th gen it looks like they beefed up the join with a strengthener piece.

I am not sure where you are going with this - is the idea to simply retrofit a main stand to a bike without one? Or has the bike been lowered and the main stand removed to improve ground clearance reasons?

Inherently these gens were largely a progression to meet developing emission rules and revamp the style. I doubt Honda would have gone out of the way to modify the frame mounting locations between 5th and 6th gens unless they found some sort of defect. So I suspect either main stand could be tweaked to fit either Gen however I would favour the beefier 6th Gen one. As for possibly shortening a main stand I guess this all depends on how good you are at welding - With a heavy bike being raised from one side only - I bet there is a lot of twisting forces going on which the main stand will need to handle flawlessly or risk a potentially expensive tip-over.

SkiMad

3. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Will be lowering the sixth gen. Have the lowering dog bone and side stand. Will be modding the center stand to fit. Will be looking for another stand at the right price at the right time to ensure it can be returned to stock later.

Essentially keeping choices open for a nice looking stand that frequently pop up on eBay. From other posts, I would also use a threaded rod, set screw, or stud of appropriate length along with a nut to allow quick removal. I've heard removing the center stand or replacing it because of the headers can be a challenge.

I can weld with a mig pretty durn good, up hill and all with a pretty bead with penetration that holds. I'd think I'd look for the sixth as well, a nice one not needing a powder coating.

About get all my welding stuff in a lump and get it done or have it done. I'd rather do it myself, especially if my old job & supervisor would allow me back in the iron shop. It would just take moments.

At the moment, putting all my ducks in a row while disassembling and cleaning ready for maintenance and what not. Have got another gas tank and fairings (mine were crapola faded).

Thanks; was wondering if anyone had tried this mod when lowering. It would be a bugger to lift her from that low of a height (1.5" drop).