2002 - 2005 vs. 2006-

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Michael S, May 21, 2017.

1. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    Hi,

I am considering buying a VTEC and have seen quite many people recommend the 2006- MY's. Often with reference to the changed VTEC configuration, but I get the impression that the newer bikes are regarded as more reliable as well.

Is that correct? And if yes, what are the typical problems with the 2002 - 2005 that the later MY's don't have?

I found the list below on another forum that supposedly describes the full list of differences between the 2002 - 2005 and the 2006. Can anyone confirm that these are all the differences?

Although most of what the 2006 brings sounds nice, nothing in the list would scare me away from buying a 2002 - 2005.

My reason for asking is that the yearly MY's fit my budget better. 2006- would stretch it, but on the other hand I would be willing the spend the extra cash if there are important differences.

- New ECU mapping engages VTEC at 6400 rpm to better match the four-valve power curve, producing a smoother power transition.

- New clear turn signal lenses front and rear provide a high-tech look.

- New gradient on windshield for cleaner, sharper styling.

- Styling on tachometer face makes numbers easier to read.

- Satin finish treatment on muffler covers and exhaust heat shield for distinctive styling.

- New silver finish on clutch and brake master cylinders.

- Front cowling center piece color matched to body for integrated styling.

2. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    The '02,'03, and '04 have a 'choke.' My '05 and newer do not.
    Not sure about better reliability. I have 45,000 miles and besides maint. I've had to replace stator connection and 30amp fuse conection by the battery. And take into dealer for the free recall that replaced the front wiring loom.
    The front turn signal lenses can be changed out for the clear ones as I have done. The tail lights are a different story.

3. SweViffer

SweViffer New Member

Sweden
    My '02 don't have a choke, it has a fast idle wax unit which if I'm (and Partzilla) not mistaken is also included in the 06 and newer package.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Best to look on a couple of search engines for the amount of data on all those bikes that is being asked for. The cosmetics are a matter of choice.

5. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    The 2006+ have a more refined vtec engagement and different mapped ECU along with new fuel injectors which they tweaked to address vtec abruptness and low end fueling. The changes are subtle in nature and although preferable do not result in a radically different bike, so depending on your riding style you might not notice much of a difference. The rest of the changes are mostly cosmetic. Myself I would go with the 06+ just because of the fueling upgrades.

TangoGrowler likes this.
  6. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    If budget were of no concern I would just "play it safe" and go with a 2006- . However, I live in a country where bike prices are very high and the difference between a 2002 and a 2006 is around 2500 - 3000 USD... . Of course the resell value later would also be higher for the 2006, but still.. . It's a lot to pay for a slightly better VTEC engagement (if that is a proper description of the difference). So I suppose it comes down to other factors such as the general reliability. If no big difference, I'll probably save the cash and go with one of the early MY's.

7. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
    This is not true. All 6th Gens are FI and have no choke.

8. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow! If the price difference is that wide then a pre 06 makes sense. The difference is not that significant and the saved money can go a long way in making it a superior than stock bike. Power Commander, tires and exhaust to name a few.

9. PawnBoy

PawnBoy New Member

Canada
    Map
    I think there's a recall that doesn't need to be performed on the 06 and newer...

10. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    Pawnboy, that's something to check - if the bike has been in for the recall. You know what was fixed in that recall?

Expvet, interesting thought. Maybe one could actually end up with a better bike in that way. On a side note, I noticed that the large majority of the VTEC's for sale have the stock exhaust. Is it because it just sounds good or because there are few and maybe expensive after market alternatives?

11. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    After market 6th gen exhaust these days are pretty pricey as well as hard to find. There is a VFRD thread following an attempt at having some made in a short run from I believe Tyga or some other manufacturer. I purchased a new Leo Vinci set about 4 years ago for $400.00 but they do not make them anymore. They really bring out the character for the bike though.