gas leaking between carbs

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jlbullet57, May 22, 2017.

1. jlbullet57

jlbullet57 New Member

need help please,bike starts fine but leeks gas badly somewhere between carbs,cant see where looking under carb plate,1992 with 132000 miles

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Simple problem, PIA to fix. More than likely the O-ring(s) on the tubes that interconnect carbs. Worst case, tube is cracked. Carbs have to be removed, only one needs to removed from plate. I fixed mine easily, you can buy box of metric o-rings at AutoZone for $8, so you can replace them all.

3. jlbullet57

jlbullet57 New Member

great news,I will try that,do I have to snyc carbs after if I just remove one on each side,thank you

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Affirmative ghost rider, you need to synchronize the carburetors after open heart surgery. You could buy these too http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1986-...ash=item2f03f0717e:g:LBIAAOSwa~BYboaU&vxp=mtr

Never had the need for them, but saved em anyway. My bikes you could set a pint of Guinness on the petrol tank and to a buck/thirty and they are smooth as butter. Overly melodramatic I know, actually, the "sych" only really comes into play at a "CH" off idle, when your riding through the neighborhood and going slow as to not run over any rug rats. Once on your way, it wont make a difference. May affect the cold start though, having mal-adjusted carbis.

5. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    Could also be the float bowl gasket on one or more of the carbs. My 1995 vfr750 is stored with the carbs drained. Every spring when I start the bike the rear left cylinder float bowl gasket leaks for a while until the gasket swells again from drying up. Been doing this for years.

Visually examine where the leak is coming from before spending time pulling the carbs apart and guessing from whence they leak.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Invest in a nice flash light, seeing well can't be discounted.

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    +1 on the flashlight! That's what I finally did, thinking that it was the float valves (which I replaced all 4). Finally saw where gas was truly coming from.

8. jlbullet57

jlbullet57 New Member

ok guys,I am buying a mirror with light on it so I can see under plate between carbs,tough to see in there,thanks for all your input