Getting some miles on the bike....and reflective vinyl

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by 54lariat, May 23, 2017.

1. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    So I passed up 1100 miles on the new bike. She is three weeks old, and has seen a many back road in the last three weeks.

I added some reflective vinyl to her, I had some scrap laying around so I decided to see how I liked it. I laid some red on the side scoop spots on the side plastics. It actually looks good because you cannot really tell they are there unless the light hits it.

I also had some black reflective and I just cut a couple diamonds and slapped on to see how bright the black is compared to the red.

Of course the black reflective lights up like Vegas under light.

Anyways, that's all I have for now. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Quibble likes this.
  2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I have wanted to get black 3M reflective tape to place on the black portion of my side bags. The reflective markers are most important facing the rear and side. It is just a neat thing facing forward. If they don't see your headlights, they won't see the reflective tape on the front.

My graphics are 3M reflective and really pop when the light hits it. I think there is an example of that at Red Rock Canyon near Vegas in my photo albums here. I don't have it saved on my laptop or I would post it.

3. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Well done - the red one is practically invisible there. Speaking of improving visibility - I saw this interesting vid yesterday:

[video=youtube;vDqYbN-CEzo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDqYbN-CEzo[/video]

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Love the Maple Leaf paint yab, very cool :thumbsup:

5. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, the red was really a close match too. I like it, just need to see where I want to add others. I may have my sign buddy plot me some Honda wings from the black and apply on the lower fairing.

That vest is bright!

I commute 130 miles a day for work, I drive my Miata daily but will ride the bike occasionally. I leave the house about 4:45 each morning so it's still dark and I certainly want to be as visible as possible since early morning cagers have not had their coffee yet.

Maybe I will play with some LEDS and controllers of my own.

I will soon be adding some LEDS under the tail to illuminate the ground around the rear of the bike. Maybe I will wire something into the brake switch too.

6. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    I've had black reflective on my black truck for going on 12 years, it's starting to shrink up around the edges, but hey for a 7 year film I'm impressed.

Only reason to apply to the front is for when the bike is stationary and parked somewhere at night, because Yea if they don't see the bright ass LED lights they won't see the reflective. LOL

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I wake up almost the same time as you! it sucks don't it :loco: Why don't you consider investing in an Aerostich suit? You get that bright bar of 3M reflective tape across your back and other strategic places as well, I am on my second one, Hi-Viz yellow one piece. Great piece of riding engineering kit fer sure. I kinda gave up on my black leathers, have a custom white perfed out leather jacket that I wear when I am not wearing the "commuting suit" just assume that your invisiable and everyone is out to kill yah, works for me. Rubber side down, shiny side up :vtr2:

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I found a lot of cool reflective tapes and materials from this place... www.reflectivelyyours.com

Along with some wheel tape, I bought some reflective cord and used it to make some boot laces and to replace the cords on a backpack.

9. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    The cord is a good idea! I may have to try that out. I wonder if suction cupping a giant reflective, led illuminated dildo on the rear cowl would help. Or just attract some undesirable females......

10. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

There's a fine line between being seen and being blinded!

12. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    If you don't mind the wait, you can get some good bang for the buck reflective tape on Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5cm...s-Motorcycle-Reflective-Film/32722926320.html

For something worn on the body, here is a pretty decent/bang for the buck product:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOJ-Reflect...otorcycling-Cycling-MADE-IN-USA-/170733927426
    The one I got years ago secures by Velcro and can be adjusted - I typically wore it diagonally across my chest/back.

I got some black reflective sheets from here a long time ago:
    http://www.reflectivedecals.com/sheets.htm

13. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a good friend of mine who owns a sign/wrap shop. I just grab remnants from him if I need something small. If I need more he just buys it for me at his cost. Hell he gave me one of his old plotters it's a 52 inch plotter. But it's up to me to learn how to run the software . LOL

He has some really nice 3M carbon fiber wrap cast material , it's 1800 bucks a roll!

It looks neat, even has texture. I may wrap a few black plastic pieces with it, it will keep the plastic minty for years.

I've also debated having him wrap the whole bike in a pearl white comma I really wanted the white bike but they didn't have one they only had red. But I could change that for a few hundred dollars and lots of patience and beer.[​IMG]

14. OOTV

OOTV Insider

If you want an easy way to get a white bike and have the option of going back, try Plasti-dip...There are a few places on the internet that sell kits. One is www.dipyourcar.com

I did this to my Ducati with some of the black rattle can Plasti-dip and it turned out pretty good. Going back to the way it was before is as easy as peeling it off.

15. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I like reflective tape but, sounding cynical, it doesn't matter with some people. They're going to try to kill you no matter what you do to defend yourself. See the yellow jacket in my avatar...it noticeably gets some driver's attention but definitely not all. Gotta text somebody ya know.....

A driver's license is an entitlement, regardless of what "the authorities" would tell you. There is not enough accountability for negligent driving (or riding for that matter) in the U. S. Murder might as well be legal on U.S. roads. There is a reason people don't speed or drink and drive in Australia for example. There's a reason people do speed and drink and drive in the U.S. Different cultures altogether. I'd still rather not live in OZ after traveling and working there too damned much. Off the soapbox.....for now. Use mo' tape.

16. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  17. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I would love to have some of that Carbon fiber, But that is some pricey Shit right there!;-)

18. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    The only real issue that I have over the years has always been at dusk and always involved an antelope, or a mule deer. Mostly antelope, because they are crazy fast, small and hard to see at high speeds. They don't seem to care about the headlight let alone reflective tape. I don't do much, if any riding early pre dawn or late at night, but reflective tape seems to be a good idea. The only reflective tape I have is on the wheels. More could always be added in an attempt of safety!

19. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

I don't see the images Randy? Thanks

20. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Click on avatar and select "Album Page". Scroll down the left side to bottom and select my stats and open up the media. All the photos are there. Not as easy as it was once but I think once we get better used to this new format, things will become easier for viewing photos