FI light

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Ralph Saulnier, May 23, 2017.

1. Ralph Saulnier

Ralph Saulnier New Member

My 99 VFR has 60K (40,000 Miles) Runs as it should but intermittently after 2-4 hours of running, the FI light will come on. Bike still runs fine, no hiccups, surging, or any outward signs of anything not right. A stop for gas or short rest and the light goes out. Occasionally will come back on after back on the road, but bike still runs just fine. Only thing I've done is throw some injector cleaner in the tank, sometimes it stops it, sometimes it doesn't. Do I have anything to worry about?, the only thing the shop manual says is bring it to an authorized shop for repair/adjustments. (which I haven't felt the need to do yet, again, the bike runs great) Anybody out there have a similar experience?

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Ralph and welcome to the Madhouse:welcome:

When you get a chance please swing by the introductions forum and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here.

:focus:

It sounds like you may have a stored FI system error, so I suggest you watch this video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpHK7gMx2WY

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

3. Beobg

Beobg New Member

Serbia
    I had that same problem on my VFR 800 FI (2001), i changed fuel filter in the tank, and it didnt show up again.
    I think that fuel pump in tank send signal when it have some resistance, but FI can pop - up for the other reasons to.
    Anything in fuel sistem indicates through the FI singnal.

What I wrote accepted with reserve, because for me it was, and what else can be, mostly everything that is connected to the fuel supply is shown through the FI signal lamp. They can be from banal things as dirty contact, the only good thing is that it does not behave differently, if I understand it well.

In the extreme case, you can always bridle it and it only blinks at the beginning, on start up, which I do not advise, because in the case of something else it will be left blinking out which is not good for your motorcycle.

I hope i helped somehow