Lost Horn, Indicators and Brake Light

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Roccoaster, May 23, 2017.

1. Roccoaster

Roccoaster New Member

France
    Map
    Hi Gang

It's been a while since I was last here so I just wanted to share an experience I've had today when I lost indicators, horn and brake light function. Read up earlier today a few threads including one on here which helped motivate me to have a crack at it. The associated 10A fuse had blown and blew the spare one just by turning the ignition on.

Removed all the fairing and had a look for obvious signs of wiring damage - none. I have the VFRness fitted after suffering a few knackered rectifiers so wondered if that might have come unstuck. Everything looked fine so I disconnected the horn wires, indicators front and back were already off and since the turn signal relay was the most likely cuplrit, pulled the connector off of it. Reconnected everything except the TSR and the 10A fuse didn't blow.

So, this Mitsuba FR-3303 needs to be replaced and costs about fifty quid but I do have one question. What is this connector for? It's located above the seat release catch and under the fairing/cowling. Any ideas?

Unknown_Connector.jpg

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    That, I believe is the jumper connection for accessing the trouble shooting codes from the ECM.

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    just a what it's worth part, check your front brake light switch under the the master, those little connectors can touch each other, and or double check the horn wiring too. don't ask how I know. .

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

RFVR beat me to it. The front brake switch can sometimes short out when the wires are too close to the clip-on or if the wires got tweaked a little. This happened on both my VFRs and on the 6 Gen you lose the entire dash and headlights...You can ask me how I know!

5. Roccoaster

Roccoaster New Member

France
    Map
    Cheers fellas. I did notice one of the spade connectors on the front brake switch was bent when I pulled them off for testing. I'll check again tonight.

As soon as the new 10a mini fuses arrive, I'm going to connect the original relay again and be 100% sure it's that which is faulty. If the fuses blows then I'll know.

Not bought the new Mitsuba relay yet, and am considering a much cheaper version >>> http://www.ebay.de/itm/lastunabhaengiges-LED-Blinkrelais-Relais-elektronisch-Honda-wie-Mitsuba-FR-3303-/130802136456

Anyone else bought one? The size and shape is completely different but if it works...I'll save myself about €50.

Cheers

6. Roccoaster

Roccoaster New Member

France
    Map
    Stuck the turn signal relay back in tonight and fuse didn't blow! So I can only guess that pulling connectors off and back on again has some how solved the problem. Haven't put the headlight and front indicators on yet so we'll see if the good news lasts until tomorrow. Ho-hum. :)