The 6th gen is FUN in the twisties!

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Hero Danny, May 23, 2017.

1. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    I just wanted to say that I took my 6th gen to the state forest today (really tight twisty area near me) and had an absolute blast!

The VFR definitely handles a lot better than one would imagine, the bike just felt so planted and the leverage from the bars definitely makes quick work of the sweeping corners. Also swaying back and forth was easy as well with the VFR, although not quite as flickable as the supersports, it still holds well on its own!

The only issues I faced with the VFR is that it really lacks engine braking which is something I typically rely on when riding fast in the twisties. Also I started scraping pegs really early in the lean angle. I guess this bike is limited without rearsets (Which won't be happening because this is a bike for comfort). Also finally... the VTEC is a bit of an issue... Sometimes I will be gassing out of a corner and it will kick in and sorta startle me. Not sure what solution there can be for this.

As I rode out of the forest with a big smile on my face from the spirited pace I just set on an excellent bike I gave it a good handful of throttle in second gear, and accidently hit VTEC at the top of a hill, the front end popped right up about 2 feet in the air and it absolutely surprised the s**t outa me! I was laughing the whole way home...

A great bike this is, I bought it for commuting but it really does have the ability to go in the corners.

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yep, a great bike for commuting, touring and having the occasional canyon blast. I found that if I'm really going to be carving it up I usually keep the bike in the VTEC engagement RPM range and if I'm just touring, I keep the RPMs below the engagement point and never have an issue with unexpected VTEC "kick in". Another thing that helps there too is a Power Commander or Rapid Bike tuning module, both help make that transition a little less abrupt.

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    If you really want to have fun in the curves, then drop your forks in the triple clamps to 50mm showing instead of 42mm and shim your shock about 4-6mm. It will feel about 100lbs lighter. I've done this to both the 6th gen I had and the 5th gen I have. Makes a really big difference with no loss of stability, even at high speed.

4. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    I thought about possibly swapping in an 06+ ECU, not sure if that would work or not, but I heard the Vtec was re-worked in those years so in theory I could just swap them and would basically have the updated fuel map.

On the other hand, I have a really good deal going on where I could get a full exhaust system for $378 or a slip on for $262 (both brand new). So if I went full I could just get the bike flashed or PCV, etc... although that's of course going to be more $$$.

is there a guide on this? I would love to do it! I always felt the VFR was very front end heavy compared to my older VFR.

5. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Glad you had fun. I never had an issue with VTEC on my 6th gen. or any other gen. engaging in corners or anywhere else. A smooth throttle hand will mitigate any issues with it. Also, I find the VFR has exceptional engine braking compared to any inline 4 I've ridden including larger displacement inlines. Main thing is have fun with it. The kind of tires on a VFR have an awful lot to do with it's handling given it's a heavy bike. As usual, it comes down to rider skill more than the bike when comparing to other bikes in the same kind of riding. A well ridden VFR will keep up with a lot of "sport bikes" with a less capable rider.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As far as your idea of swapping the ECU, essentially they changed the VTEC RPM engagement point. Earlier 6 Gens it was at 6800 RPM, the later models it is now 6400 RPM. Not sure if anything else in the ECU was changed but there were other items on the bike that were, other than the wiring harness/sub harness, I don't recall what else though. I think it might have been the Stator.

7. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    A dynotuner can smooth the VTEC transition. My 6th Gen is fitted with a PCIII with a custom map. It really makes the difference.
    dyno chart.jpg

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Throttle control is the secret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  9. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow that is a huge difference! I think i'm going to go that route too. Looks like PCV is all that's available, $300 is steep.. I wonder how much they'll charge me for a dynotune. Hopefully not much more than $300. Putting the total at around $600 for fueling.

10. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    If you look under the seat/back of the fuel tank you will see where the top of the shock bolts onto the frame. Loosen that nut, I think it's 15mm, but perhaps 17. Do not remove it. Keep just a few threads in the nut. The shim you should get is stainless steel automotive alignment shim. I got used ones free from an alignment shop. You need the small ones. For my sixth gen the one I got was 4mm thick. Slide it between the top of the shock and the bottom of the frame. It can be tricky, but patience wins out. Re-tighten the nut to spec.

The front is simply a matter of loosening the nuts holding the forks in place in the triple clamps. Only loosen enough to allow some slippage, not too much or it can slide way down. Using calipers to measure, gently push the handlebars down a little at a time, measuring after each push. When there is 50mm from the top of the top triple clamps to the flat top of the fork, even on both sides, re-torque the bolts holding them in place. Two different bolt heads, two different torque specs.

Now, ride it. Cautiously at first. She'll turn a lot faster on you. Once you get accustomed to it, be prepared for sore cheek muscles from smiling so much!

11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I've done the above to both my 6th and my 5th. Big difference! Especially one the 99, with the Bridgestone T30EVO tires. I can bend her around turns fast enough to turn the treads blue. Turns like a cat on carpet

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Well, others can explain the benefits of newer technology than the PCIII. All I am saying is that you do not have to live with the abrupt VTEC transition. The jerkiness at small throttle openings (parking lot speeds) is gone too!

My dynotune set me back $250. My tuner said he has to "trick" the fueling to get the smoothness. Don't know what he means by that, but show the tuner my map and tell him that's what you want.

13. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Every bike is different. Your map may be just fine, or it may be a good starting point. Still have your bike tuned for your bike.

14. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

United States
    Map
    Lint is totally correct on this. The bike just steers so much easier and you gain a good bit of ground clearance also.
    It's also important to set the sag and damping within the proper range. You can search around on You Tube for some basic guidance.
    I've attached a photo comparing my bike ( red wheels) to one with the stock ride height.

Attached Files:

15. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    About how much does that increase the seat height by? I'm kinda short (5'8) so that may be a deal breaker for me if it increases it too much.

16. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

United States
    Map
    A 5mm shim will raise the rear end about 20mm. I did mine along time ago and I no longer have the bike but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.
    Perhaps Lint can confirm this.
    It really is easy to do so you could put it back if your not comfortable with it. (My guess is that you'll love it and easily adapt!)

Attached Files:

17. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Good point. I guess there's no harm with trying. Thanks!

18. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Lint, l like your idea of standing the bike on it's nose, a bit. Some pics would be cool, but not necessary. I think l am going to lower the front first, then ride. Often, a little is a lot when it comes to bike geometry.