Bloody Bike !

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by BloodyBike, May 28, 2017.

1. BloodyBike

BloodyBike New Member

Can anybody help me with an issue I have with my 1991 import VFR750 RC36-FL? Ive hit a no brainer, im sure that the solution is simple, but im screwed.
    Hope all are keeping safe, BB

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    And what may the issue be?

3. BloodyBike

BloodyBike New Member

Engine running, sweet as it ever did, runs through gears happily on back stand. Sidestrand switch works ok. Yet off all stands, dammit thing cut out trying to put into gear, every time.

Cheers for message

4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Strange indeed I would check clutch and neutral switches/ connections.

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I agree; if the sidestand switch is OK then I would be looking at the wiring/plug.

6. BloodyBike

BloodyBike New Member

Thanks very much

Clutch switch it is then, suspicions confirmed.
    She'll be fettled tomorrow, either working or slightly charred after an accidental fuel burn.....lol

Ride safe,
    G

7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and welcome to the Madhouse:welcome:

I guess you will soon discover we have a BB already! When you get a chance please swing by the introductions forum to say Hi to the rest of the folks on here and post up a photo or two of your VFR - they like photos on this Forum! You may want to update your forum profile (Forum Actions+Edit Profile) to include the year and specs of your VFR and a rough location city/town is fine, that way they will appear automatically with all your posts and if you need help with an issue you may find someone nearby will be willing to drop by and advise - especially if you have a well stocked beer fridge.:drink:

:focus:

You state you have checked the side stand switch is operating correctly - so I assume you have tested the switch and found with sidestand down connects yellow/Black to Green, and sidestand up connects green/white to green? - In which case the issue is probably faulty wiring between the sidestand switch and the ICM(Ignition Control Module) (or a fault with the ICM - unlikely!).

If you look at Section 16 of the full Service Manual you will find how to troubleshoot ignition system faults.

Section 16.4 seems directly relevant -

The side stand switch should function as follows:
    When the transmission is shifted into gear from neutral with the side stand down the ignition shuts off and the engine will stop.
    When in neutral - switch line (a) of the ICM is connected to ground via the neutral switch.
    When the side stand is UP the side stand - switch line (b) of the ICM passes to ground via the side stand switch.

The basic point to stress is that the ICM is looking for earth at either terminal (a) or terminal (b), and provides spark only when one or both of those lines is connected to ground via the neutral switch or the side stand switch.

Whilst it is not impossible the ICM is defective its is very unlikely so I would focus on checking the side stand fully retracts (to complete the circuit to earth) and end to end checking of the side stand circuitry.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

8. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    The clutch switch won't play any part in this, just the neutral or sidestand switches. The clutch switch only determines if the starter will fire (must be in neutral, or in gear+clutch pulled in). The bike will only run with the sidestand down in neutral. In any gear, the sidestand must be up. Given you state the bike ran fine in gears on the mainstand, I still think the fault is in the sidestand switch or wiring.

What is happening to the sidestand indicator light when all this is happening?

9. BloodyBike

BloodyBike New Member

Needs a bath, but ready for mot. It was the clutch switch circuit....
    Thank for all your help guys

Attached Files: