has anyone ridden a yamaha FZ1?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by keet, Nov 1, 2006.

1. keet

keet New Member

Map
    ......before i became a vfr owner one of the bikes i was "kinda" interested in was a FZ1....in fact i almost got one but the owner,decided he wanted more $$ than he origonally wanted,not a lot but it changed the dynamics of the sale and i decided to wait a little longer...then i found a sweet vfr and went with that...anyhoo....sometimes i do wonder what it would have been like...has anyone in here tried one...and did u like it?...how do they compare and why?....thanks!!:juggle:

2. Spike

Spike New Member

Owned an FZ6 for a couple of weeks, does that count? ;-)

3. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

A buddy of mine actually just bought an '06 FZ1 this past Sunday. We're gonna try and hook up for a ride this weekend if it doesn't rain and I'll have a chance to ride it....I'll post back if I do. I'm really curious myself.

4. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    I've ridden one & like it better than my 86':doh: though I'd probably like a newer VFR if I had the chance to ride one too(no local honda dealer). They sit taller than & feel more comfortable to me, but like I said I'm comparing it to old technology.

5. RosscoB

RosscoB New Member

My neighbor has an FZ1 I've ridden in a couple of times.

The bikes are totally different! To be honest I could be really happy with either on. I like the way the VFR handles better than the FZ1 and I like the FZ1 power more than the VFR.

1000cc VFR????

Anyone???

6. Wu-Viffer

Wu-Viffer New Member

Map
    I've ridden an FZ1. The biggest difference is that most of the power of an FZ1 is on the higher end of the RPM scale. If you are going to be riding around town, you never get into the power band of the FZ1, and it will seem sluggish. I like the VFR, it sure looks a lot better, and the power seems more continuous. Of course, I am a bit biased.

7. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    E'RRR a couple of weeks ? details please.

8. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    My chaplain buddy has one. Swears it's the best thing since hot pockets. He never wants to switch up, so I have no idea how it rides.

Asthetically, VFRs (especially the Gen5s) clearly blow the FZ-1s off the road.

9. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Once you ride a Honda V4, an inline 4 is just another "opinion" bike, "Everybody Has One"...

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

10. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

That's a pretty funny comment. I am proud to be a distinguished VFR owner. It turns heads and not many of them around. However, I did like how the seating position is on the FZ6 and FZ1...being a little more upright. I was considering one of those myself when shopping, but I always liked the Interceptor's looks and SS swingarm.

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I think if you like that seating position, the helibars pretty much put you there. i ride with a buddy who has an fz6 but either the bars or the seat have him needing a break every hour...

12. puttman

puttman New Member

I had a 03, bought it new. It was my first I4 bike. About 6 months later my financial situation changed and I wanted to get down to one bike. I sold the FZ1 and kept my DRZ 400S.

I thought the Fizzy was good, but it always felt like work riding the bike. there was so much motor it commanded a lot of attention. I wound up trying 3-4 windshields and never overcame the buffeting...earplugs were mandatory, the fairing is just to far in front of the bike. The gearing seemed strange to me also...first gear was really tall and 5th felt too short. I find the VFR is much quieter, which i like, less buffeting and has a much more tractable motor.

Just my 2 cents, a lot of people just love them...check out the FZ1OA web site, it is really great.

13. im944

im944 New Member

Map
    Fz1

I was looking at a 2001 FZ1 the same weekend I bought my VFR. I test rode the FZ1 the day before the VFR. The FZ1 is one mean machine!!! I felt the gearbox was quite a bit smoother and had better feel. The FZ1 was probably the better deal between the two, but in the aesthetics department there is no comparison between the two. The FZ1 isn't made to look pretty though, it is made to ride and from the short time I have spent on one I felt it excelled in that area.
    Personally, I just loved the sound of the V4 and the low end torque it provides. I do like the full fairing of the VFR also as I ride a lot of highway miles. I think most VFR guys would probably find themselves fairly happy with an FZ1 and most FZ1 guys would be presently surprised with a VFR. As long as you love the bike you've got that is all that matters.

14. TX Viffer

TX Viffer New Member

Map
    I've owned an '04 Fizzer and kept it for 2 years. I loved the power and handling but the naked bike look was not for me. Being only 5'5", the wind buffeting on a 2-4 hr ride was enough for me to sell it.

I'm now a proud owner of an '06 Pearl White Viffer. The wind protection is much better and the bike is way more confortable for the long rides. I often ride with my brother who owns a '06 Gixxer 750 and unless it's an all out race, the VFR will is more than enough bike. Besides, he has to wait at the next light for me if he gets too far ahead. LOL