Y2K Valve Adjustment

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by PLCBithead, Nov 7, 2006.

1. PLCBithead

PLCBithead New Member

Hello All;

I've got a Y2K with 31K miles that I recently purchased. I was told the valves were checked at 16K and were fine. I'm planning to change the oil & plugs at 32K, but question how neccessary another valve check is. As s former automotive technician and owner of other quality made Honda vehicles, I'm a little skepitical that the valves need such frequent attention. Yes I know what it says in the owners manual and repair manual, :rolleyes: But this just seems like a good way for Honda techs to make their latest bike/boat payment.

1. Anybody like to report on how many shims they've had to add and at what mileages?

2. What's a reasonable cost to pay for this service?

3. Anybody like to admit to never having checked them?

Thanks all. :smile:
    Any and all welcome to respond

2. Wu-Viffer

Wu-Viffer New Member

Map
    I bought my 2001 with 28,000 miles. The guy I bought it from had the valves adjusted at 20,000. I took my bike to my local mechanic to check everything out before I bought it, and he said that if the valves were adjusted already, they probably wouldn't need to be adjusted again. He did reccomend a place to have them adjusted just in case, and they offered to do it for 250 dollars. I actually don't know how you tell if they need adjusted without taking the whole motor out and checking.