brake bleeding

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by reg71, Dec 7, 2006.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    we have gone over clutch bleeding now I need to know the easiest way to bleed the brakes. the fluid in my resevoir is golden. I have a 5th gen so the brakes are linked. Any help is appreciated. I'll be out of town for a while so there;ll be plenty of time to get opinions before I start and maybe I'll take pics and do a write up on whichever way I decide to go.

2. macmorgan

macmorgan New Member

Map
    Go get yourself a MityVac - PepBoys, AutoZone etc - hook er up and pump away... make sure your bleeder is open! I first suck the old fluid out with a bulb-baster and keep a supply of Valvolene Dot 4 on hand. It's priced right and I've had nothing but good luck with the stuff. Have fun and join Honda's Rider's club. It's worth the price of admission especially with free parking at Daytona.

3. csb

csb New Member

Australia
    Map
    from experience the best way to replace your brake fluid is to evacuate the old fluid, clean inside the resevior and add new fluid, i use a vacuum pump on the brake bleeder and withdraw the old fluid making sure the resevoir is topped up, i do this untill clean fluid is comming out of the bleeder, i think the main advantage of this procedure is that you are not activating the master cylinder, on older bikes if the master cylinder is manually activated the piston moves beyond its nomal operating range and will remove the lip off the seal hence air will enter and you will not be able to obtain a good feel at the lever,hope this helps.