Is there a specific Battery tender you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by VaRollOn, Jan 15, 2007.

1. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    I haven't started shopping yet, but think I want a battery tender as these bikes seem to draw amps even at rest, maybe the clock?

My bike is an 04 sold new in 05/2006 so its a couple years old, I just got it from a member here w/650 miles. Cranks up fine, I just want to keep this bike tip top.

When I ran a shop the Battery Tenders were the best but that was 7 years ago, any new companies that are better? Not planning on using it on anything but the VFR and wanting remote plugs so I don't have to take that GDAMN sargent seat off more than once.

Thanks DUDES AND DUDETTES

2. mordred

mordred New Member

Wally mart has one I just purchased. I hate the store but other solutions are too far out of my way. Its sell for around $18. Fully automatic charger/tender that you can set for either 6/12 volts. Plug it in and don't worry about it until spring.

3. KENJI

KENJI New Member

I just installed a batt tender on my'05 VFR, after disc from the quick connect I noticed that the speedo was in metric & the clock was off time. Did you have the same issues? Kenji

4. Old VFR

Old VFR New Member

I have a Battery Tender Jr. and got an extra quick connect. Switch it on and off both old and new bike. Works great. Think it was just $20 at a local shop and $5 for the extra connect. Just pay attention to your water level if you need to add water.

5. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I paid $15 for the BT Jr in the BX on Shaw AFB. It's 6.5 years old & still does the trick.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nope, still using the one I got when I was 16 from dad for Christmas, sheesh that was a ways back now isn't it............. shut up...:)

7. Vlad Impaler

Vlad Impaler New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a Wally World model. I thik I dropped about $20 on it. I ended up cooking a battery with it, but it wasn't the chargers fault. The cheap battery wouldn't hold enough charge to make the tender shut off. Always on = fully cooked! Never again will I buy a knock-off battery; a good old made in the USA Yuasa bought this falll and the tender are doing just fine. Something to consider if you are in the market for a battery along with a smart charger.

8. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    9 months ago, at the suggestion of an old friend who has owned bikes for over 60 years, and was an electrical missile technician
    suggested that I should try the new YUASA "Hot Shot" battery charger. I bought one off of eBay and so far it has been perfect.
    It comes with a harness that I attached to the passenger peg with nylon tie-wraps.

I've usesd lots of different brands but this one seems to be the latest...greatest.

There is one right now (Feb. 19th) on eBay for $22.95. Check it out...

9. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    thanks Bob I would definitely feel more comfortable with YUASA, they make the best batteries so it makes sense...:yo:

10. mello dude

mello dude Member

Romania
    Map
    I cant remenber the charger/tender brand I have, there is several good ones.
    The main thing to get is one that goes into standby mode once the battery is fully charged and then comes back on once the battery needs it again. With this, it avoids inavertantly frying your battery when your not looking.

MD

11. schnabba

schnabba New Member

This one is good - and you can pick up spare pigtails for other batteries from the manufacturer's website (say you have more than one bike, or want some for the car, etc).

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332201_200332201

and the manufacturer's website:

http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12117.htm

The pigtails are nice - you can hang them somewhere out of the way, and then just plug the charger into them when needed. Have them on a truck I rarely drive, and any motorcycle I have...