Country
    My Ride
    1978 Suzuki A50 1982 Honda XL100 1984 YamahaXT200 1985 Honda CX400 1987 HondaVFR700 1980 Suzuki ER50 1992 Suzuki TS250z 1999 Yamaha YZF600F R6 2004 Kawasaki KLX300R, 2006 HondaVFR800 (Current) 2005 Suzuki RMZ450 2010 Yamaha WR250R (Current) 2008 Honda VFR800 Tricolour (Current)
    Thanks

VTec Reliability - its never unreliable.

I read today in Zoo magazine, in amongst a whole lot of automobile trivia -

"The Honda VTec Engine has never had a warranty claim"

Thats pretty impressive - even the VTec knockers out there must be impressed.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800FI (RWB)
    Thanks
    This to me is not surprising at all. Honda is known for its reliability. I was a 5th Gen owner and loved the bike, but I have now upgraded to a 6th Gen and I'm sure will like this bike just as much as the 5th Gen and my 2nd Gen!

The Interceptor, since the 1990 models, has been Honda's innovative platform and the VTEC is a logical step in the progression. Personally, I love the entire line, 1st to 6th Gen. How can you go wrong?

Country
    My Ride
    2006 VFR800 pearl white 1986 VFR700F2 pearl white(retired- Gone but not forgotten)
    Thanks
    yeah what stewart said. these are great bikes fast and quick, agile and stable at all speeds. I love both of mine. I am planning on getting a yellow Y2K 5th gen. love that color.
    Danimal

Drive like Hell you will get there faster.
    Doh!

Mods:
    Leo Vince CF, PCIII custom Map, BMC air Filter, Chatterbox comms, CW fender Eliminator, ZG Dubl Bubl, Mirror extenders, red LED lights, Sargent Seat, Garmin Etrex GPS, Black Pazzo Shorty Levers, and the list keeps on growing
    ATGATT LIFETIME Member

PROUD MEMBER
    SIXTH GEN MILITIA
    1ST VTEC BATALLION

Country
    My Ride
    2003 VFR 800, 2000 H.D. Night Train
    Thanks
    wow! that is amazing but has it really ever changed much?
    Richie,Red hot ripper

Country
    My Ride
    Mint '06 Pearly black VFR 800
    Thanks
    gee , thats Good news to hear .

I just bought the 6th gen . Only done 200 km since I've had it , and Ill tell you what man , -absolute Pleasure ..........
    Mint '06 Vfr 800

Country
    My Ride
    2004 VFR 800 Interceptor
    Thanks
    Not to be contrarian, and I have an 04' and love it but, it sounds like hype to me. No cataclysmic engine seizing failure maybe, but NO warranty claims period on the engine, I say BS. Came out in 02', thats thousands of units worldwide translating to perhaps millions ridden, certainly hundreds of thousands.

Who did they site...Honda... Zoo's editor might be Michael Moore!

I'm not trying to start an argument it just sounds suspect. A call to a Honda District Sales Mgr would be interesting...I bet they monitor this site.

Country
    My Ride
    '85 honda 350x '02 honda interceptor vfr, '08 triumph tiger
    Thanks
    I am also suspicious... However, I have 42,000 miles on my 02 and the valves still don't need to be touched!

The motor seems as strong to me as day 1.

Country
    My Ride
    '98VFR800 and '99 Valkyrie - one to go fast, one to go slow, not necessarily in that order.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopsterman View Post
    I read today in Zoo magazine, in amongst a whole lot of automobile trivia -

Thats pretty impressive - even the VTec knockers out there must be impressed.

I'm not.

MD

Country
    My Ride
    '99
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopsterman View Post
    Did they mean Honda automobile engines ?

Honda is sold at a premium on it quality of build which also relate's to its bikes but agree that's still pretty impressive nonetheless.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    VTEC on the VFR is not a new technology. Honda has had it on their cars for a while now. Overall, it is a very proven technology and I am not suprised about its reliability. Honda is known for quality which is one of the main reasons why many of us bought our bikes.

Country
    My Ride
    86' VFR700F 06' CRF50 06' PW80 98' RT180 2000 Ski Doo Grand Touring 700 94' Polaris Super Sport(sled)
    Thanks
    Your forgetting one thing it states there have been no warranty or warrantable failures or repair. What is the standard warranty I guessing a year with extended variations out to four years. All this really says to me is there are no workmanship issues relating to VTEC, which is impressive but Honda has had over a decade of playing with this technology on the automotive side. You can't help looking good with that much R&D behind you; there are variables one must consider when reading between the lines. How many units where sold w/ only base warranty. How many units where sold for example to a Canadian customer from a US dealer that was not close enough to a US dealer to get warranty work done. How many claims where denied due to being examined & determined to be abuse/neglect/ improprerly recorder casting or s/n's or any of those other things warranty analyst's like to deny warranty for. Possibly something was taken care of by a DSM under policy consideration & therefore not recorded as warranty. I'm not discounting the claim but like everything if you take @ face value you may not be looking @ the whole picture.
    T-Bone

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." ~Mark Twain

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tbones86 View Post
    Your forgetting one thing it states there have been no warranty or warrantable failures or repair. What is the standard warranty I guessing a year with extended variations out to four years. All this really says to me is there are no workmanship issues relating to VTEC, which is impressive but Honda has had over a decade of playing with this technology on the automotive side. You can't help looking good with that much R&D behind you; there are variables one must consider when reading between the lines. How many units where sold w/ only base warranty. How many units where sold for example to a Canadian customer from a US dealer that was not close enough to a US dealer to get warranty work done. How many claims where denied due to being examined & determined to be abuse/neglect/ improprerly recorder casting or s/n's or any of those other things warranty analyst's like to deny warranty for. Possibly something was taken care of by a DSM under policy consideration & therefore not recorded as warranty. I'm not discounting the claim but like everything if you take @ face value you may not be looking @ the whole picture.
    Having made warranty claims before on Honda cars, they tend to be pretty generous -- or at leat they were wiht me. And Honda cars come with 3 year warranty, not one. As far as bought in US by Canadians, that has to be an absolutedly miniscule percentage of US sales. I would guess less than a tenth of one percent. And if you have a major engine issue, I think most of us would drive a little out of the way to get it fixed for free.
    By Federal law, it would have to be provable that abuse was meeted out. And if you abuse or neglect the car or bike, you deserve the failure and to have your claim denied.

And Harley still has recalls and warranty claims, even though their "technology" if it can be called that is far older than anything on Honda.
    FPR; Galfer rotors and braided lines; Ohlins rear; Thurn CF chain guard, engine case cover & exhaust shield; GCC CF rear hugger/chain guard, gauge cover, triple tree cov, tank protector; Techskins; Honda heated grips; Kisan headlight mod, signal canceler, brake mod, tire pressure monitor & license frame w/LED brake light and signals; Sargent; ZG DB screen; 2 Powerlets, Gadgetguy GPS mount, Pair valve remov, R&G sliders, Staintune, Motad w/JetCoat; K&N; Fiamm, Lojack, Scorpio; PCIII

Country
    My Ride
    86' VFR700F 06' CRF50 06' PW80 98' RT180 2000 Ski Doo Grand Touring 700 94' Polaris Super Sport(sled)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Having made warranty claims before on Honda cars, they tend to be pretty generous -- or at leat they were wiht me. And Honda cars come with 3 year warranty, not one. As far as bought in US by Canadians, that has to be an absolutedly miniscule percentage of US sales. I would guess less than a tenth of one percent. And if you have a major engine issue, I think most of us would drive a little out of the way to get it fixed for free.
    By Federal law, it would have to be provable that abuse was meeted out. And if you abuse or neglect the car or bike, you deserve the failure and to have your claim denied.

And Harley still has recalls and warranty claims, even though their "technology" if it can be called that is far older than anything on Honda.
    I am in total agreement with you, just pointing out that the picture may not be as pretty as it appears. I deal with all aspects of vehicle warranty on a daily basis; some of the reasons behind claim rejections are just plain silly. The ones more aimed having a proper paper trail vs. a proper repair are the ones that irratate me the most.
    T-Bone

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." ~Mark Twain

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Maybe the question that should be asked is whether there are any VFR owners out there that have ever had a VTEC related problem of issue that required service. Anybody???

Country
    My Ride
    1978 Suzuki A50 1982 Honda XL100 1984 YamahaXT200 1985 Honda CX400 1987 HondaVFR700 1980 Suzuki ER50 1992 Suzuki TS250z 1999 Yamaha YZF600F R6 2004 Kawasaki KLX300R, 2006 HondaVFR800 (Current) 2005 Suzuki RMZ450 2010 Yamaha WR250R (Current) 2008 Honda VFR800 Tricolour (Current)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    Maybe the question that should be asked is whether there are any VFR owners out there that have ever had a VTEC related problem of issue that required service. Anybody???
    I had a warranty claim on my 87 model VFR700. Gear driven cam spring retainers were recalled.

Nothing wrong with my 2006 Vtec - 12000km in about 4 months

I do not know if the statement of no warranty claims included motocycles.

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tbones86 View Post
    I am in total agreement with you, just pointing out that the picture may not be as pretty as it appears. I deal with all aspects of vehicle warranty on a daily basis; some of the reasons behind claim rejections are just plain silly. The ones more aimed having a proper paper trail vs. a proper repair are the ones that irratate me the most.
    So your saying honda are dodging warranty claims?

They honoured my claim back in 1988 - and the bike was out of the year warranty then, and they still honoured the claim when they legally didnt have to.

As far as I am aware Honda stand by thier product. Funny thing is, Hondas hardly ever fail, cars or motorcycles - especially in first 3 years.

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks

Quality control

I would imagine Honda would have strict quality control systems in place in thier manufacturing plants.

All engine components would be manufactured to strict tollerances and checked, materials would be thoroughly tested etc.

They then end up with motors that are more or less identical.

This would mean if one motor was to fail prematurely - there would be a high liklihood that all motors in that batch would fail.

And thier motor development - designing and testing of new motor models must be sharp.

This must inccur a high cost for development of a new motor, and perhaps this is part of the reason why the 6th gen hasnt been changed yet.