parts for a valve adjustment

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by digger, Mar 24, 2007.

1. digger

digger New Member

I'm about three thousand miles from a 48k mile valve adjustment. The bike is fairly new to me - can someone tell me what new parts I'll need? I imagine valve gaskets, but are there other components that will need replacement?

Thanks!

digger

2. samiam

samiam New Member

Map
    You probably will not need anything since they are not a shim/bucket design. Even the valve cover gaskets are reusable. I gave mine a thin coating of silicone upon reinstallation and have had no problems.

3. the-chauffeur

the-chauffeur New Member

If you've got an '86/'87 VFR700/750, you'll only need tools. You won't need any parts (unless you lose something in the process).

The adjusters are cross heads, secured by 10mm locking nuts. Once you get the valve covers and generator cover off, it's just a matter of rotating the crank and adjusting the gaps. Not really very hard, but check each one at least twice - having to open the whole lot up a second time 'cos something is very slightly out of alignment is a real bloody nuisance.

4. savedrider

savedrider New Member

Agreed with all the advice here. However, carefully check the gaskets and bolt rubbers for hardening/wear. These bikes aren't getting any younger and it's a wise investment to just replace them while you're in there.

Like already mentioned it's not much fun tearing things down and putting it back together. Tried to get things nailed the first time in.