Slow cranking?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by samiam, May 2, 2007.

1. samiam

samiam New Member

Map
    I installed a new battery last month in my '85 VF700. The engine fires quickly most of the time so cranking speed was never an issue. Last week, however, after riding around for 20 miles or so, I shut my bike off for a minute or two and then attempted to re-start it. It cranked over very slowly, almost seeming to stop from a weak battery. I was pointed downhill anyway so I just started rolling and I was going to bump start the bike, but I hit the button one more time and the bike started. Back at the garage, I checked the battery voltage and it read 12.4 volts. Normally, I like to see 13 or so, but it did not seem like the battery was the problem. I put the battery on a charger and brought the voltage up to 13.5 and the bike does not seem to crank any faster. Maybe my starter motor is tired?? Has anybody had problems with their starter system slowing down?
    Just curious.
    Thanks!

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    How hard were you riding it? On my 93, after some spirited riding if I shut it off for a couple of minutes while the rest of the group caught up and then restarted the bike, it would sometimes be hard to start. I was told this could be because the valves need adjusting. I had them adjusted (mech said they were way out and it looked like they had never been adjusted before). Now, it starts right up when cold, unlike before when it had to crank a couple of times. Not saying this is your problem, but I would not rule out the possibility. Of course, it could be the starter too. Never had one of those go out on a bike before.

3. samiam

samiam New Member

Map
    I did not ride it hard, and I just adjusted the valves. They were mostly fine but a couple were just a bit tight. The bike starts and runs just fine, it just seems to crank very slowly. Maybe my starter motor is just tired. Anybody ever rebuild one?

4. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Well then, I am out of ideas. Anyone else?

5. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

6. PLCBithead

PLCBithead New Member

12.4 volts w/o the engine running is OK. What is the battery voltage when the engine is running? It should be in the 13.5-14V range if your alternator is charging.

The fact that it started before you attempted to push start, leads me to believe it is worn starter motor brushes. Next time it does not start, se if you can tap gently on the starter

7. dopes

dopes New Member

I have an 85 vf1000r and I had almost the same problem. had low voltage on the battery, I checked everything r/r coil switch etc. finally I checked the starter and it was full of black particles, the brushes were bad and the stator was bad. my problem was so bad that the bike would not start period. tried to have the starter rebuilt, they said it was too far gone. ended up buying a used one from a motorcycle shp that I called by accident while trying to find my friends shop number in the phone book. I got lucky he sold it to me for $50.00 after that everything has been running perfect. what I did is removed the starter and hookd it up to a battery tender on a low voltage to see if the gears spun. you can probably have an autozone test it for you before spending some money on a new one. good luck.

8. samiam

samiam New Member

Map
    Yes, I had 12.4 volts with the engine not running. I will check the voltage again with the bike running to verify that I have something higher.
    I have not even looked for the starter yet, but IIRC, it is on the lower front of the motor.
    It looks like it is time to pull it apart and see what it looks like inside.
    Thanks folks!