Replacement Spark Plug Caps & Wires

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ChrisPaegelow, May 12, 2007.

1. ChrisPaegelow

ChrisPaegelow New Member

Hey everyone,

I found on my '85 VF500F that one of the spark plug caps was pretty corroded and generally messed up; it didn't even really hold onto the end of the spark plug at all.

So of course I figured I'd replace it. I called the Honda dealer and ordered a new wire (they said I couldn't just put a new cap on because it's one piece). So they called me back a week later and said no luck, the wire isn't made any more and Honda doesn't have any left!

So I called my dad and said "What the hell pops." He said "No problem, we can chop the bad cap off and put a new one on, I just did that on my car so I've got some left over spark plug caps." Ok!

So dad came over with the caps. Of course, it didn't work, because the caps he had were meant to go on spark plugs with the little connector screwed on the end, like this:
    [​IMG]

The wires on my bike just attach to the little threads on the end of the spark plug though, you don't screw on that little connector piece!

So I looked around for motorcycle spark plug caps, and they all seem to want to go on that little connector.

SO ANYWAY, I don't know if newer bikes use that connector or not, maybe the way mine are is the old outdated style. But do you guys know where I can get some spark plug caps that just attach to the threads on the spark plug?

Thanks!!!

-Chris

2. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

Chris; Spark plug wires including the entire ignition system are to critical to engine performance to try and cheap out. Put a new set of plugs in then buy a complete set of ignition wires for your bike-all four-not just the broken one. If Honda no longer makes them check out some web sites , I know of a few specialty ignition parts mfgs. they should be able to help you. Good luck

3. vifferj

vifferj New Member

If you go to any decent parts stockist and ask for ngk SDO5F you'll be able to cut off the old cap, screw these on and plug them straight onto your plugs, failing that the next time your dad changes his plugs, screw off the adapter on the top of the plugs and screw them onto your plugs and use your dads caps