San Diego group ride?

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by neubertt, May 14, 2007.

1. neubertt

neubertt New Member

Anyone in San Diego interested in getting together for a group ride? I'm new to the site and would like to get a local VFR group organized for weekend rides.

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I'm in San Diego, and would be interested in a ride sometime. Provided you don't wear one of those helmet mohawks and ride in a t-shirt and shorts....sorry, I am anti-squid....hahaha!

I'm in the Clairemont/PB area, but I work in the Sorrento Valley area.

3. Nepix

Nepix New Member

United States
    I would be up for a ride, I live in mira mesa and work in el cajon

4. whiteboyslo

whiteboyslo New Member

Map
    hi guys!

fairly new to this forum, but I thought I'd let you in on some rides that I go on every other weekend or so. these rides are/were run by the SoCal SV Riders group, but ever since their website went down, a lot of the regulars have been throwing stuff together via e-mail. this is a GREAT group of riders to go with! their skill levels vary, but this just means they're open to any level of rider. NO SQUIDS, THOUGH! they re-group at every major road change, and there's always plenty of free advice if you want it (from people who definetely know what they're talking about).

There is a ride planned for Sunday (12/30). I don't have all the info, but here's what I can tell you so far:

Meeting Place: Del Lago Shell Gas Station just WEST of I-15 on Via Rancho Parkway and Del Lago Blvd. (This is not the Shell station on the EAST side of the freeway across from the Westfield Mall)

Meet Time: 9:00

This is not planned to be a high speed, knee dragging event. All riders welcome and strongly encouraged to ride at their own pace. We will re-group at all road changes. Top speed will be about 65 mph indicated and passing will be OK with acknowledgement of the passee. Full Safety Gear highly recommended.

General Route:

Highland Valley Road to 67/78 (caution - possible mud/residue on roads from fire/rain)
    Old Julian Highway (caution - possible mud/residue on roads from fire/rain)
    Wynola Road (caution - possible mud/residue on roads from fire/rain)
    Banner Grade
    Yaqui Pass
    Lunch in Borrego Springs
    Up Montezuma Grade to S2 to 79 to 76
    Head up Palomar Mountain S7 (if not too cold)
    Head down S6 to 76 and back toward the 15

I actually won't be able to make this ride since it's the day after my wedding, but I'm always willing to pass along this info to anyone interested. I'd HIGHLY recommend it if you're looking for an awesome ride on some of SD's great backroads with a group of riders who are definetely welcoming to riders of all levels.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  5. Nepix

Nepix New Member

United States
    Well after this weekend my front tire will have tread, so we should plan another ride... san diego vfr meet?

6. kenbfromsd

kenbfromsd New Member

I'm also new to the group and live near Cowles Mountain. I would also be interested in group rides.

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    It would be interesting to see if this semi organized ride still takes place seeing as this thread was started back in 2007. Like R3, it is good to see long lasting events with our group.

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Ootv having a ride this weekend in OC which is an hour North of San Diego :thumb:
    :welcome: to the madness

9. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Holy thread resurrection - over 9 years old - that has to be some sort of record!

If you start riding now you might be able to get to the G3 ride in St. Augustine on Saturday :glee:
    There's also the R3 ride a little closer to you up in SLO next weekend: http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthre...ouse-Roundup-Memorial-Day-Weekend-(May-27-28)

10. kenbfromsd

kenbfromsd New Member

LOL! What can I say? I'm a slow reader!

11. patrickrc

patrickrc New Member

United States
    Map
    Any chance of resurrecting this page? I'm in San Diego and would like to meet up with some people for weekend rides.

Scubalong likes this.
  12. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I'd be down for a ride sometime, but not sure when yet. Calendar is a tad full at the moment. Hope you don't mind if the road we are on accidentally turns into dirt. :)

Scubalong likes this.
  13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Not in SD but close enough to join a ride! This next weekend (5/12-5/13) is spoken for but I think I’m pretty open after that.

Ennsync likes this.
  14. patrickrc

patrickrc New Member

United States
    Map
    Cool. I go out most every Saturday and Sunday to the local twisties, Hiway 94, Mount Laguna, Ramona, Julian. Sometimes Borrego Springs and Palomar. Haven't been on Ortega hwy in quite a few years, that would be fun if anybody wants to hit that.

Ennsync likes this.
  15. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Normally I try and stay away from Ortega. It is a lot more crowded and has been the location of many motorcyclist deaths, one not that long ago. A common run we would do is Palomar, Borrego, Julian and then back home, ironically, we would use Ortega to cut over to 15 South. However, the early start time usually meant little traffic going East bound on Ortega. Let's keep the idea going and see if we can't get a few more people to chime in. Ragtop01 is in Sd and although no longer on a VFR, I'm sure he liked to join the ride.

16. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Patrick,

OOTV and the OC gang are great to ride with - hook up with them when you can.

I’m in north SD county (Vista) and am looking to get one more ride in this Sunday 5/13 before I reduce my 5th gen to smaller component piles to do moderate maintenance. Earlier is better because of traffic. We could meet up in Rancho Bernardo, Escondido, some place that will get us up into the hills. I’ve always been curious about the roads south of the 8 (Jamul, Otay) but I have no idea if they are any good for riding.

Let’s see what shapes up.

17. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Jason no this route well, hope he can chime in or take you guys out for the ride. Please stay away from Jamul (Learning Curve). That where I left my Silver Viffer. :(

18. patrickrc

patrickrc New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm def down for a Sunday ride, we could meet somewhere around Escondido and head out. There are some great roads south of the 8 fwy, I like to take the 94 out to Buckman and head north on Sunrise hwy, that's a fun ride. I live 10 minutes from Jamul and take those roads all the time, never had any issues.

Scubalong likes this.
  19. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok Patrick, I’ll PM you contact info. Escondido meet up sounds like a good start.

Scubalong - sorry to hear about the demise of your silver streak. Is there one of those roadside memorials with candles and flowers we can stopped at to pay tribute?

How do we get in touch w Jason?

patrickrc likes this.
  20. patrickrc

patrickrc New Member

United States
    Map
    Well this sucks, looks like the weather may not cooperate with us, lmk what your thinking...