My new to me vf1000R

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Drew R, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Drew R

Drew R New Member

Well, today I had a 1985 vf1000R given to me. After a hell of a trip home on a very small trailer(right tire blew out), I got it into the garage to pull all of the panels off. I had it running the night before, and it won't run with out a battery(well, a jump pack, the battery is done for). As soon as you remove the battery(jump pack), It starts running VERY poorly(well, much worse than it already runs). The tach move up and down like crazy, and it just kind of sputters a lot, but you can keep it running for about 40 secconds before going dead. As I believe, this should be like a car and be able to run just fine with out a battery? Also another problem, after running it for awhile(5 minutes) it won't re-start. It turns over, but it seems like it's out of gas, but it will start about an hour later. Plus not to mention an antifreeze leak, broken brake handle, the choke cable broken, and having bad gas in it for 3+ years.

I was wondering what kind of oil, and antifreeze to use? Also I would appreciate suggestions for any of the issues above :biggrin:

And of course, the pictures...

[​IMG]
    Broken choke cable? Is the choke 'on' when the cable is in, or out? Plus it only moves about 3/4" is this normal?
    [​IMG]

Very poor picture, but what is this? Something for the suspension? (My first bike... :redface: )
    [​IMG]

Another bad picture... But is this another choke? :confused:

[​IMG]

Anyways... that's my new, not so great running bike...

2. bear

bear New Member

Map
    Most any road vehicle requires a battery to run properly. It is never a good thing to disconnect the battery while the car/bike is running. Think of the battery as a stabilizer for the charging system.

Running without a battery may cause the fuel pump to stop as well. No pump, no fuel, no fuel, no run after about 5 minutes.

3 year old gas is not good. Change it.

Choke pulls out, and 3/4" is normal.

The cable on the left side of the bike is for the rear shock. Long since discontinued from Honda.

3. Drew R

Drew R New Member

Thanks for the help. I had already changed the gas, and have ran it for about 10 minutes since I changed it, but the exhaust still smells like its burning the bad gas? Also, is the 3/4th inch for the handle bar choke? Or is that for what I believe is a choke on the left side(not the shock deal)? And is that in fact an extra choke? Also, that 'choke' and the shock deal will not move at all, any tips on loosening them up?

4. elizilla

elizilla New Member

The shock adjustor thing is almost certainly broken, or will be if you move it. They all are. It moves a lever on the top of the shock, and I was never able to tell the difference between them on any of my bikes. I'd just ignore that adjustment; if you really decide you care, then buy a good aftermarket suspension.

The last picture is so bad I can hardly tell what it is, but I'm wondering if it's an idle adjustor.

The VFKR is a stonkin' motor in a chassis that seems purpose built to make the bike difficult to ride. Bad handling, heavy, uncomfortable, awkward... I don't think you could find a worse choice for a first bike. The only thing this bike has going for it, as a first bike, is that it was free. You might want to keep it as a garage queen for a while, get something smaller and friendlier to learn on, ride the VFKR later.

5. bear

bear New Member

Map
    Picture 2 and pic 4 on your putfile listing (pic IMAG0006 and IMAG0004) of pics shows the shock adjuster, it has three detents in it (well two actually since one is all the way in). The cable is broken in pic 2. If you look at the carbs in that pic, the knurled knob is for setting idle speed.

Pic 5 (pic IMAG0003) shows the choke cable. This cable is supposed to attach to a lever that rotates around the turn signal switch on the left bar. Should be a lever that is right between the signal switch housing and the clutch resevoir. It will pull out about 3/4 of an inch when working correctly. There will be some slack in it when it is hanging like that though.

It also appears someone has switched the bars around. Normally the bars are under the pivot or adjustment, your's are over it.

I doubt you will ever get the shock adjuster freed up, and the housing is broken anyways. The choke will probably need a new cable as well, and you will most likely have to go through the carbs to free up the little enrichener plungers in all 4 carbs.