Alpinestars Tech Road Gore-Tex Gloves - Review

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by John451, Jun 26, 2007.

1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Wet weather Gloves were one of my pet hates, have a few of them including Joe Rockets Dry tech and other various Hipora membrane winter wet gloves, so far hadn't been happy with any of them as they have been either too thick affecting feel or not water proof enough having soak through after 1 to 2 hours of rain.

As my other wet weather gear since 2003 is Gore Tex including Boots and been extremely happy with its heavy rain performance decided to bite the bullet this winter buy the Alpinestars Tech Road Gore-Tex Gloves.

Was able to trial them last weekend on a organised VFR Winter run, despite starting the ride at -2C ( 28 f ) temperature's found the gloves were ok, ie not warm but not cold, the comfortable temperature for them seems to start around 7 C ( 45 f ) .

Comfort wise these gloves are easily the best all weather touring gloves I have owned not bulky at all with a nearly leather glove quality of feel. As the day warmed up moved to 16C swapped over to my much loved Leather Alpinestars GP Plus Gloves.

After staying overnight in the country and departing early in the morning for a 6 hour trip back to Sydney was met by very crisp 3-4 C ( 37 f ) temperatures and after an hour of sustained 125 kph ( 77 Mph ) speeds my fingers did very nearly get cold and I was debating whether to stop to put in my thin thermal inner gloves or exchange them for my trusty old and fat but warm Winter gloves.

Luckly the days temperature started to rise to above 6 C and the gloves became acceptable.

The morning had been beautifully clear to this time but unfortunately around the halfway point home as I hit the mountain range sepparating the country from the city and was met with medium fog and misty rain. The ambiant temperature was around 8C but the gloves were still fine and even when I hit the pouring rain for the rest of 2 hour trip home they held up brilliantly with no soak through or leakage at all. :smile:

These gloves themselves to me as money well spent and besides them not being quite warm enough under 8 C they were bearable and admit I should have stopped to slip my thin thermal glove inserts to compensate.

Haven't tried them in hotter temperatures as yet but being Goretex allowing for perspiration to pass through suspect they'll be ok.

Highly recommend the Alpinestars Tech Road Gloves as a brilliant all purpose touring glove that are 100% water proof and still allow for good feel, so good if I was making a road trip and decided to take only 1 set of gloves then these would be my only choice. :smile:

Linky to Alpinstars Website:
    http://www.alpinestars.com/moto/gloves_techroadgtxglove.html

2. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah that winter ride part surprised me for a sec, too. I saw the flag when the message started, but I had no idea it was winter there. It makes sense, I just never thought about it! Our riding here is just starting to get hot out here. Luckily it is still cool in the morning so if you start early you don't notice as much...

4. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Sorry, should have added was reviewing from Oz. :redface:

Good to know in advance though unless its raining or cold would be using my Leather gloves so hopefully it wont rain on very hot days.

Very true, should have added the comment into the review seeing as it is my biggest annoyance with my summer grade Joe Rocket Wets, well that and they leak after a while.

5. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    No Problem on not being explicit about an Ozzie revew. It is VFR*World*... I just was enjoying the heat and humidity too much perhaps? The gloves should work the same in both hemisphere's. :rolleyes:

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Year 4 Update - Find myself still very much in loving these gloves with their only negative is they can get a little cold riding at sustained 60>70mph speeds over long distances at lower than 44f Temps. Having slim cuffs they clamp nicely inside my Tiger Angel Gortex Jacket sleeves and have ridden no worries through heavy rain for 6 to 8 hours without any seepage through the glove and being comfortable with thin padded fingers find I'm not loosing much road feel in comparison with my dry weather Alpinestars GP Plus Gloves.

Last weekend expecting early morning 35f temps through fog and drizzle started my ride with little used UK Winter Wet gloves I bought in '03. Soon found out why my older thickly padded UK made Wets had sat unloved in the bottom on my motorcycle gear chest soon remembering they were like riding with sponges sticky taped to my fingers, next fuel stop had me swapping over to the Alpinestar Tech Road Gloves with a satisfied " Ahhh thats better I have feel again " no wonder most of my friends with the "standard" thick padded Wet cold weather gloves complain about riding in wet winter weather.

Alpinestars Tech Road Gore-Tex Glove
    [​IMG]

7. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    If you still like them after 4 years, that's saying something. I have some Alpinestars SP-2's that I've had forever, not worth a darn in the cold or wet but great for everything else.

Thanks for the follow-up!