fuel tank petcock filter/strainer availability?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by pdiz, Jul 7, 2007.

1. pdiz

pdiz New Member

I removed the fuel petcock from my newly acquired 1996 VFR in order to flush the tank since it had been sitting for four years with gas in it without any protection. I watched the in-tank filter/strainer tubes that are attached to the petcock crumble in my hands. When I checked bikebandit and other online sources, the OEM schematic only shows the entire petcock being available (about $75-100).

Are the filter/strainer tube thingies not available separately, either OEM or aftermarket? I really didn't want to buy the whole petcock assembly, part # 16950-MT4-P00 or 16950-MT4-672 depending on which site you visit.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I ran into the same problem with a petcock on a dirtbike. I tried used sources and eveything before finally giving in and buying the bikebandit entire assmby. Mine was cheaper than that, though, since it was a little dirtbike, but still more than I wanted to pay when I only need one little part... Unfortunately, every petcock search I did, didn't turn up much unless I wanted to convert the tank to aftermarket petcock, then it still came out as much as the whole thing. I think they know just how much it'll cost you to change over so they price the replacement right around there...