1985 vf 500f vacuum help

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by bend500, Jul 14, 2007.

1. bend500

bend500 New Member

I recently scored a free bike but the carbs had been removed because they needed cleaned and rebuilt. I have done the work on the carbs but now I have a bunch of vacuum hoses that I am unsure of where to connect. I bought a Clymer manual but it isn't as helpful as I had hoped. Does anyone know of or have a vacuum diagram or would it be easier to ask specific questions. Thanks.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    darn, I just sold an 84 yesterday or I could look at the bike and manual. You know, there is a user named JAmieDaugherty that is very knowlegeable about the VF that has a website that might be helpful to you. I don't know the address, though. I think it is his name or some variant but if you search the forums, I bet you'll find him.

I ran into the link in another post so I came back and added it. I don't know of it'll help you, but it can't hurt: http://www.daughertymotorsports.com

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  3. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Bend:

Since the bike is over 20 years old, I'd recommend you invest in new hose if you haven't yet.

Even *if* he old stuff is not cracked yet, the new hose will seal around the metal pipes better. A vacuum leak will cause you more headaches than the cost of new hoses. Your locale auto shoppe (<-note internationale spelling for Englishe folke :wink: ) should sell it by the foot.

4. bend500

bend500 New Member

Thanks for the help. I have it narrowed down to two hoses, I hope. Then we get to start on new plugs, oil, brakes and radiator flush. Maybe some day soon I'll get to try to fire it up.

5. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't let it outsmart you Bend!

6. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    On the '86 VF500F, the vacuum hose runs from the diaphram, on the back of the petcock, to the outside of the left, right-rear cyclinder. I'm not sure about the '84 - '85.

7. possum2082

possum2082 New Member

Map
    1 hose from back of petcock to spot below a cylinder...shouldn't matter which one...like the other guys said, just a vacuum hose. the others from the petcock should run to the carbs...
    good luck

8. bend500

bend500 New Member

As far as I can tell, the petcock itself doesn't have a vacuum connection. There is a diaphragm (called that by my Clymer manual) under the tank with a vacuum hose and fuel line coming off it. Is that what you mean? I assume it is connected to the petcock because of the fuel line. Can anyone tell me what hose connects to the nipple under the front of the tank? Thanks in advance.

9. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

If you have a nipple on the front of the tank, I'm guessing you have a california tank. I believe that nipple is for venting the tank - maybe from the charcoal canister?

10. flameface

flameface New Member

Map
    hose routing

The Honda Service Manual will have a beautiful diagram showing where each hose goes. Surely someone here has a factory service manual for this bike??

11. bend500

bend500 New Member

I believe it is a California bike so thanks on the charcoal cannister connection. I would love a vacuum diagram. As I mentioned above (I think) the Clymer manual has nothing but incidental photos and drawings. I am getting close though.

12. dskelton

dskelton New Member

Bend,
    I have the Honda manual for the 84-86 VF500, and it has a pretty good picture of the California vacuum hose setup, and there really are quite a few hoses. Let me know if you need it and I'll get it scanned tomorrow and send it off to you.
    Dean

13. bend500

bend500 New Member

Dskelton, thanks for the offer. If it isn't too much trouble I would really appreciate a scanned copy. I just have this feeling that even though I am pretty close to right with those hoses I am probably off on one or two. And when I go to try to start this I don't want the hoses to be a part of the problem. Thanks again.

14. dskelton

dskelton New Member

Bend,
    While looking through the manual to figure out which pages to copy, I noticed that the manual says the vacuum line diagram is shown on the inside of the right side cover. I'll still go ahead and copy the pages tomorrow.
    Dean

15. delirus

delirus New Member

hey guys on my 85 500 i have two vacumm ports on my petcock on goes to the LR cyclinder on the other one there is no hose is it atmospere pressure or do i need to hook it up to the carbs

16. VFess

VFess New Member

Map
  17. slim187

slim187 New Member

I'm having ah problem with a hose on the right hand side of my vf500f its about as big as my middle finger and when plugged my bike wants to start without using either.. Ijust can't find were it goes can anyone help me out on were it. Ill post ah pic ina min.. thanx

18. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Your bike won't start without ether ??

19. slim187

slim187 New Member

No found out my buddy put the fuel line on the pitcock on backwards.. but he said it was the pcv?and as I was trying to start the bike he plugged the tube with his finger and it attempted to turn over. So we hooked it up to my air filter case if that's were it goes? The bike sat for 4 years so we took the gas out and it was varnished so I put premium gas in and some sea foam I'm hopeing that will help it still doesn't like to start most of the time without using either we checked all the plugs they r good.. any ideas would help thank you

20. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Dija verify that air will move through the choke circuit pick up tubes ?? They're often clogged so that the choke won't work.