93 fuel pump

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by tbone, Jul 14, 2007.

1. tbone

tbone New Member

Just picked up a white 93. Ran fine until I washed it. Was riding up the street and it just died like it didn't have any fuel. Is the fuel pump supposed to run when you turn on the key or does it start when you start cranking? I guess it could be the relay also. Does anyone have a pic of the fuel pump relay. I probably got it wet. Is it fried now or will it work once it dries? Tried hooking up a battery to the fuel pump and it does nothing? Any ideas??? Also, can I get by without the fuel pump?

Thanks,

2. possum2082

possum2082 New Member

Map
    keep in mind, the washing thing might be a coincidence...have a moto dealer check your battery (it's free), check your fuses, old gas...?

when you turn the key, you should hear a slight hum, just like your car when you turn the accessories on, if you have the plastics off, you can even feel the vibrations on the pump. a way to check is just put the output hose from the pump in a bucket and crank...see if anything is coming out. if it is, pump's not our prob

http://ip.infinity.nu:8000/vfr/vfr750f.pdf
    here's the shop manual, it should have some relay pics or the wiring diagram

you need the pump for sure...if you don 't have an electric pump, it needs to be vacuumed in by putting a vacuum hose on the petcock to pull in the diaphragm to let gas flow in...the vfr's petcock isn't made for that...the vacuum thing would require a petcock off an old blackbird or katana...but that's even more problems to think about...

keep us posted

also, use a multimeter and, with ignition on, check the wires going into the pump...maybe we have a short elsewhere...good luck

3. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    I'll bet you got water in the plug holes. Water is bad to get in the plug holes where the wires go on the plugs when washed. It won't evaporate unless you pull the wires off for about 30 minutes or so and let some air get to them. When you started riding the water got hot and turned to steam and shorted out the plug wires. Not sure about the 93 but my 83's fuel pump only runs when the engine turns. It should run fine after a good drying out.
    My '83 does this usually after washing at a car wash with high pressure water.

4. tbone

tbone New Member

Thanks for your comments guys.

Well I put a fan on it overnight and it started and ran fine the next morning. So something was wet. I forgot to mention when I washed it I had the seat off because it needs to be recovered and didn't want a wet butt. So I think it's something under the seat that got wet.

possum2082: I tried that link to the manual but I got the "page can't be displayed" message. Anyone have another link to a 90-93 manual they want to share?

Anyway, I was a little worried that I bought a lemon when this happened. Put some new tires on it (the old ones were square) because the thing wouldn't turn. She rides very nice now:) Still have to get the fork seals replaced (one is leaking). I was also thinking of putting in some new fork springs at that time. Any recommendations for some fork springs. I think I read somewhere to get Progressive, does that sound right?

Thanks again everyone,

5. possum2082

possum2082 New Member

Map
    hey man, i tried the link from my comp, it worked...do you have the newest acrobat reader?

progressive springs are great. reasonable price. a lot of metal. a lot of jap manufacturers will use shorter springs and longer spacers. when i put progressives on my gs500, i had to shorten the spacer...all instructions should come with the springs...good stuff

glad she's running man

out

6. tbone

tbone New Member

possum2082: I tried the link from two different computers (one xp, one Vista). Any chance you could email it to me? PM me and I'll send you my work email address.

Anyone else have fork springs they tried besides Progressive?