exhaust cross-over

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ride_or_die86, Jul 30, 2007.

1. ride_or_die86

ride_or_die86 New Member

Map
    hey guys just a really quick kinda dumb question, but before i do anything drastic..... i have an 86 750F and it has a crossover in the pipe before the mufflers (im sure you all know what im talking about) if i buy/make an exhaust, does it need to have a crossover or is it some sort of smog-emissions thing. also if i run "almost" open exhaust, do i need to worry about detonation at high RPMs? (running K&N filter, stock jets, NGK plugs)

2. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    Do not run open exhaust with K&N and stock jets you will most likely lean out big time

3. ride_or_die86

ride_or_die86 New Member

Map
    yeah, the open exhaust was just a dumb afterthought. however what if i drill out the stock exhaust, mabye like 4 3/8 holes on either can? i know you purists frown on doing this but the stockies on my bike are pretty rashed so i dont feel bad modding them. if they were minty i wouldent, but thats not the case.

4. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

The cross shaft helps with scavenging the exhaust gases out of the system.

When I had my V45 Magna, I drilled 4 holes in the endcaps of the mufflers. It made the system louder, but it had a touch of farting noise to it. If you want better sound, get some slipons ...

5. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    Right now I am researching modding VTR 1000 cans to fit. I have cobras now and they are heulla loud. But I polished them up very nice and that high polished aluminum looks so good.

6. ride_or_die86

ride_or_die86 New Member

Map
    i would go buy a set of cans, but that requires something i dont have, which is expendable money haha. farty exhaust never bothered me, so its gonna have to do for now, mabye in the spring ill get some real exhaust.