Cushy ride needed

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by spxer, Sep 12, 2016.

1. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Feels a bit weird at first, but a long day in the saddle will be needed for the test. And again, you'll probably be most comfortable at the point of inflation just past where you can't feel the stock seat beneath you. The air cell thing should pretty much look deflated.

2. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    For pain relief, get some "Sombra" pain cream from Amazon. It comes in warm and cool versions. Both work VERY well. No, I don't work for them or sell it. I just use it. My nurse practitioner daughter put me on to it.

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Try your stock seat again, I hate corbin seats, would never deal with them again. Their boots suck too along with their customer service. What about wearing a "kidney-belt?"

4. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    PM to me if you want to sell the Ohlins.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

hahahahahahahaha, when opportunity strikes

6. spxer

spxer New Member

Got the Airhawk pad and test rode on it today. It did not go well. Having been warned it does not take much air, I blew only one short breath into it. Put it on the bike and off I go. Yes, it does feel weird and it does absorb some of the road ripples. After a short while of shifting around uncomfortably, I let some air out hoping that may help. It protrudes up front into my business and I could tell that I wouldn't be able to tolerate that for long. So I scoot forward on the pad to get away from the tightness up front. Better, but now all the air goes to the back and I am essentially sitting on the seat. So I stop again and add more air. So now it wants to pitch me forward, which is why I got away from the stock seat. After 40 miles it went into my tailpack and I road 90 more miles without it. Other than the Airhawk failure it was a good day with great weather and a nice lunch at a Mexican restaurant.

7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    When i bought my Trek 2.3 years ago, the dealer had me sit on a gauge that showed where my hip bones were for a better seat fit. Ended up getting a seat from Cobb with memory foam, world of difference from the hard leather stock seat. Actually a good bicycle seat is not too soft, like those bar stool types. Maybe someone will get smart and offer a custom moulded seat based on each person "profile"! They do it with orthopedic inserts for shoes for shoes. I hope you can find a solution that distributes your weight and provides proper support.

How well do you do on the GoldWing?

8. spxer

spxer New Member

I have only rode the Goldwing twice. Once when I test rode it at purchase, and about 80 miles after that. Then I took it down for all over maintenance. The time I rode it, keep it in mind it is 39 years old, it rode smooth on the ripples. The big hits were still felt. The front the worse.
    As far as bicycle saddles, I ride on a Brooks B17 Imperial. Best I have ever owned.

9. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I bought the Cobb seat (six years ago) because they had fantastic instructions on how to measure and adjust. The biggest single ajustment that made all the difference was to align the seat (for men) 5 degrees to the left or right.

10. HellFishTat

HellFishTat New Member

United States
    Map
    I find it hard to believe that it took 23 comments to get to this point.

SPXer

What model is the shock? I search pretty hard to find one, even rode to the Ohlins factory in NC only to be told "used" was my only option. I wonder if maybe you have one that isn't "right" for a VFR and that is making the situation worse than you expect. I have Ohlins on my R1200s (and on my old R1100s) and think they are fantastic at handling the hard bumps.

11. spxer

spxer New Member

It is the correct shock. HO801. Hard Racing still shows it on their website. They may not actually have one, though.
    If I ever replace the VFR, I may part out the goodies. The Ohlins, the Two Brothers full SS exhaust, the Corbin seat.
    By the way, I am making some handlebar risers for it now.

12. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Was thinking here and came up with before you go and exchange this and that. Would you know of another vfr owner that would where you two could swap rides for a few? Reason being you might have more than what the VFR can be adjusted too, one way to find out is to ride another one that's for the most part stock, just saying.

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Sounds like the OP is a man in search of a custom seat by someone who is savvy to ergonomics.

This could turn into a pitch for Rich's Seats in Kingston, WA.

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    That too, but almost sounds like there is nothing out there either, LOL here's one I don't recommend, change the tire pressure? trick here by the sounds of it is to take the initial jolt out of it, that I get, but in that there's a lot of not so great side effects as he's finding out. As much as he also says he like the riding position, I'm thinking that right there is the issue since on his GW it's ok, but then compare a 700+ lbs to 500+ isn't comparing apples to apples either.

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The seat option might be better than letting the air out of the tires. Then again, it might just be the tires. I'm sure there are sites somewhere that show recommendations for the right tires.

No comment on anything aboot a Gold Wing or any bike, dude or chica that weighs 700 lbs. All of which would squash anyone like a bug.

16. imagearhead2

imagearhead2 New Member

United States
    Map
    I am 69yo with 5th gen.having 135 thou.
    Recently came back from Ashville N.C. in one day 720 miles. My suspension is pretty soft even adjusted all the way up.I broke my 650 mile record from when I was younger.
    Must just like pain,did the 750 in 12.5 hr.s..

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Way ya go Pops
    Think your do for a jacuzzi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. spxer

spxer New Member

Long time between posts. I have made an improvement in the ride. This won't help you on the shock unless you have an ohlins. I removed the rebound separator check valve on the end of the shock shaft. I just knocked it out with a hammer and rod. Amazing difference. The low speed damping will actually adjust now. Before it didn't matter where you turned the adjusters- all the same. Rides much better with very little hard impacts.
    On the forks, I drilled an additional low speed compression hole in the base valve on one side only. Big improvement there too. I am happy- for now.