Help fund the VFR header

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RVFR, Jan 24, 2017.

1. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    RVFR [Jay], it looks like you and I are both using the Staintune high mount slip on. I presume that since the Staintune bolts directly to the stock exhaust, our slip-ons will bolt onto the proposed set of performance headers Gabe will fabricate? Just hoping to confirm the almost-obvious.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yes we will be be using some of Erion racing and Two bros numbers and a bit of knowledge from a couple of exhaust guys that are in the know. and a yes stock location exit wise. so what ever make you have for a can will fit Note: Since the 6th gen on the norm header wise will be able fit these headers, good chance once we know how it all pans out we will look into making a mid pipe for those with 6th gens. But for now it's enough just to get it all lined up for a 5th gen. Sorry no 4th gen.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep! It has to be able to work with the Staintune or no deal ;)

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    From what I gathered with the Delkevic it is a stock replacement in SS yes, but with 29mm primary's and who knows if they are equal length, just saying The plan is taking it up a few notches with what has been proven to work., Plus.

5. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like good things are in the works. Can't stop the right mover/shaker [RVFR].

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
  7. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Mello - your PM box is full. Clearly you are one of the cool kids.

Thanks for letting me know whassup.

I'll take care of the fender brackets you had made for me, and I'll consider gold anodizing.

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Just a poke here. Imagine what another 8hp can do for you ;)

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Just in case you have never seen a 98-99 header. Here's what I'm working with Gabe to replicate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now you can see the work ahead to duplicate making this flow better. , what a snake.

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Now don't be shy. This is the real deal here where we will be making hand made one ofs, It's going to be better than good.

11. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    As exhaust system design is complex, and as we are trying to outdo what Honda's vast engineering braintrust accomplished with overall power and torque as goals, I think hiring Mike Velasco for some consultation would lend the project significant technical credibility, though I say this without knowing whether anyone involved is an engineer.

Kristian

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Well, at least one guy will end up with one of these on his bike. This is getting to sound like one of those Great Leader deals...

13. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    As i'm on europe, this looks like the real deal for me...
    https://www.ebay.es/itm/271187153193
    Maybe they are not the best performance headers, but they seem to last more than the stock ones and remove the catalytic converter (i'm on a 2001 5th gen)
    Anybody here mounted this?

14. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    The only way to do this cost effectively and consistently is with a CNC tube bender after making an acceptable prototype. If you're going to do this project, might as well do it for other bikes and make a business out of it. Hand welding an entire exhaust system will be s cluster of an operation on a production basis. But maybe that's what you had in mind. I dunno.

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Actually Drifting. That's the path, but first is the prototype phase getting it right. then from this if the masses like it from a commitment base, we can make it to be more available, hopefully the numbers make it lowering the price a bit, But if only a handful are interested then that's a different approach. We've all ready talked to a couple folks that could bend it up right, in that that even takes a bit more $$$ I Like your thinking, just a work in progress.

The Delkevic is just a SS replacement, No up grades in fitment nor flow improvement, why it's at that price, no R&D. Its ok if that's what folks want. It's just there's room for improvement. Now the question is, is there a strong enough market to go into production? that is yet to be answered, so it may be one ofs is the way to go.

All I know for now is after the interests for the last couple years with the TYGA header build was in the works, I would say there's around 60 or so interested to pull the trigger. Thing is since at that time TYGA has changed things, so no telling where this is heading. Then there's the cost of what was going to be $600? that was two years ago, again with no R&D. My thinking is if I'm going to spend that kinda of money, I better see some gains. It didn't sound as TYGA was going to do any Dyno R&D runs, they're intentions were to make a knock off of the 2 Bros system. Why I'm doing what I'm doing. I can't be the only one that would like to see some performance gains here.

16. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Simulation software can significantly decrease the amount of dyno time required to perfect the design. Although some home built exhaust systems look cool, the chances that they actually perform are quite low. You have to factor in the engine configuration and dimensions and include those measurements in the design. You aren't going to design and build a well performing exhaust system for $600, unless you happen to know an engineer with the right software and know how that is willing to do you a solid.

Food for thought: http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/exhaust_system_technology.htm

You need to initiate the process by working with somebody like this: https://www.goodfabs.com/materials

The design is more important than the fabrication.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Thats a good read that confirms some of our thinking, there's a lot more to this than one would think huh. in this case I'm looking for duplicating the Erion Racing & 2 Bros systems then add a bit of fine tuning from what Mike Valasco has in mind. It's not a lot of differences, like taking the stock roughly 30mm primary's to 35 then have em all meet up at the same time making the collector a smooth process in getting that hot air out. Seems simple enough, then to get it where it fits and looks good all at the same time. ;)

18. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

What I was attempting to convey is that you don't just start changing primary diameters and lengths without at least modeling it first. Anyway, best of luck to you and I would be interested to see the dyno numbers when you get done.

19. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    I have one @vegaquark

I didn't install it, the previous owner did. It works fine. Doesn't give me anything the stock did not have, but it does get rid of the cat. It definitely doesn't improve performance by itself. The stainless isn't the greatest -- it discolors quite a bit where it gets hot -- but it's good enough. And for a full system it's cheap. It is NOT a performance exhaust, just cosmetic. Sounds good, looks OK.

If you want your center stand, leave it on when you're bolting together as you have to drop one of downpipes to remove or add it again.

The high exit pipe goes where your heel wants to go when you're standing on the pegs, and there's a bend there so you can't easily fit an aftermarket heel guard.

I can't think of any other quirks to point out.

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    This is all sounding good with all the name dropping and pie in the sky "performance" increases.

What is missing is are pesos needed to pay for that dyno time, paying guys like Mike Velasco and the supposition that other manufacturers of speed goodies are going to share their technology and engineering with a couple of guys on a limited budget.