98 R1 fork swap

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by I0seb, Feb 28, 2017.

1. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    No I haven't. But I really don't see how even dropping 30 lbs will change the handling feel much. I had a 1989 gsxr1100 with a stock exhaust which weighed 46 lbs. I put on a full Hindle which dropped 40 lbs. I couldn't really feel much of a difference. There was no wow factor. But boy it looked and sounded good. A well worth "tinker."

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I have dropped a little over 50 pounds off of my vtec and it does transform the bike. It is not just dropping the weight, but where your are dropping the weight from. Ditch the center stand and evap canister, fit a light weight header or anything else in the low center of the bike and you won't notice too much in the handling department, but it would still aid in acceleration and braking. Now upgrade the slip-on on a vtec and you can easily drop 20 pounds of of the top rear of the bike. Change the battery out for a lithium, ditch the proportioning valve and you are pulling 10 pounds off the top of the bike, which can be felt. Rotational and unsprung weight are big factors too, swapping the front end ditches that big heavy secondary master cylinder and typically adds a lighter front wheel (you get a light weight lower triple too, but thats sprung weight), which are great bonuses on top of getting a much better suspension and brakes. One of the biggest and best weight reductions you can do happens every time you ride the bike, the tank empties, I am sure you can feel the difference of 30 pounds on the very top of your bike. By the way, my comment was directed to Norcal not you.

dhinson66 likes this.
  3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I bet if I lost fifty pounds my bike would be happy... I know my wife would be.

dhinson66 likes this.
  4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    The older you get, the easier it gets, to just pull the weight off of the bike instead lol.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Speaking of weight, not that folks haven't tried this, try running around on your favorite set of twists with the tank near empty vs. do it again full, there's big difference.

6. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Some quick teaser shots of all the new bits, haven't had time to properly fit them yet, once that's done it will be time to measure out the new brake lines and figure out how to mount the ignition, I'm tempted to go RFID :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yeah, right. I lightened up every single component that could possibly be lightened, removed what could go and including all ti hardware and you aren't going to hit 460 and I am talking wet weight with all fluids and 3/4 tank of fuel. I even had the fucking rotors lightened! But if you wanna live in denial, that's perfectly OK with me. You did make me laugh when you said dropping the stock exhaust was worth 20 pounds, though. Next it's gonna be smaller spark plugs saved 5 pounds....enjoy your 460 pound ride.

dhinson66 likes this.
  8. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Norcal you still had the factory forks, the heavy front wheel, the iron lower triple, the massive secondary master cylinder, the proportioning valve and bracket, the million miles of linked brake lines, a bunch of heat reflecting tape, dual mufflers and I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting lol. Your build left a lot to be desired and since you were so tight lipped and elusive about any details or dyno numbers, it left a lot to the imagination.

Also about your slip on comment, yes the factory slip on weighs 28 pounds and my single carbon two brothers weighs three. That's 25 pounds, so say, to be nice I give you five, that is 20 pounds.

Your build didn't do much for taking off, it was mainly just adding on. Adding pads and SS lines to the overly complex linked brakes. Adding new internals to the budget factory suspension and then throwing a bunch of fancy colored and ti bolts to everything you could find lol.

I honestly don't even know why your on this page anymore. You don't have a vfr any more and your only contribution is sarcastic remarks and trying to discredit any new ideas for performance mods that you never tried on your vfr when you had one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dhinson66 likes this.
  9. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    :laugh:
    https://gfycat.com/NippyKindLangur

Jesus that was a massacre :laugh:

10. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah Ronald has basically been undermining every single modification I have done since 2009.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

11. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thats a lot of weight. Seems the gen 6 has a lot more weight that you can lose compared to my gen 4. Don't disagree that removing top weight such as gas does make a big difference. That's why on a really twisty road I run with minimal gas in the tank. But even losing 50 lbs only gets you say 7 HP. But if you're happy with the end result, that's all that counts. As I said I respect the inventiveness.

12. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Finished properly mounting the handlebar risers, ended up drilling out what I assume we're clip on alignment holes on the R1 triples. Handlebars fit perfectly and the cables doesn't bind at full lock.

Moved on to thinking about the ignition mount, decided the best way to go was to make up a steel mount plate, attached to the risers bolts. This should allow me to keep the steering lock. Finished the day by grinding off the R1 ignition mount and making up a first drafting template.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    This makes me smile for some reason. Clever enough, and it'll work!

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, going for broke, nice. I take it you'll powder coat the triple?

15. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    I'll probably get it painted, bloke whose doing my fairings is happy to do my other alloy parts that need painting for cheap.

16. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Haha thanks mate, I was super stoked when they worked!

17. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Just a quick update as not too much has been going on, finalised the design for the ignition bracket and fitted a shiny new chain + sprockets. New braided brake lines have been ordered and painting should be finished up next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Swapped the original clutch master cylinder for one off an 07 CBR1000rr so that it matches the R1 reservoir. Amazingly the levers swap right ove, saves me buying a second one. Still waiting on the cbr reservoir to arrive.

Also started setting up the integrated mirrors, had to replace the original bolts they came with but other than that they fit fine. Ordered a new flasher relay to get the timing right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Well the mirrors fell apart on me, not completely shocked considering how cheap they are. I've ordered a pair of Magazi mirrors, much more expensive but much better quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  20. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    More bling... :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]