Do not buy K&N Wrench On oil filters: Busted on me

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by EricTrant, Mar 25, 2017.

1. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Just for shits and giggles I googled VFR K&N OUL FILTER and the fourth post down was this posted on VFRW.
    Was tryin to somehow post a picture of AM photo
    IMG_0533.JPG

QUOTE=Rt rider;419567]My gen 6 developed a small oil leak. It seemed to be only when the motor was running. I thought the filter might be loose so I tightened. When I took it out on my test ride after there was smoke trailing. Pulled over and the rear tire was covered in oil. I nursed it home trying not to lean the bike and reduced speed. By te time I pulled back into the garage the oil level was getting toward the bottom of the sight glass. I left the bike running and took a look underneath and then it became obvious.

The leak was actually coming from the nut that is welded to the end of the filter.

I have used k&n filters for the last few years on numerous model of motorcycle and cars and have never had an issue. I did a like internet searching and it appears I am not the only person to experience this problem.

I had an extra k&n filter (it's the same filter on my zx10r). Put it on and no more leaks. I didn't install the orIginal filter but I didn't over tighten when I made my adjustment. I'm going to contact k&n tomorrow to see what they have to say.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I think I deserve some sort of credit for creating that "promotional" graphic based on Jen's photo (but am unlikely to get it from K&N...).

3. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States

Hey, thanks for posting this. The more of these posts there are, the more people searching for K&N Oil Filters will know they are shit.

4. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Are you tightening the filter using the nut?

I figured the nut was there to get the filter back off. All oil filters that l know of, are all Hand Tighten Only.

5. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    Makes me wonder why you need to have a nut? Seriously you do hand snug and a quarter turn. No need to use a wrench. And that giant nut is sticking out there at the end of some very thin sheet metal that really isn't capable of taking any torque at all. It has to be the worst place ever to put a great big nut!

6. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I've had good luck luck with K+N filters in general, for a lot of years.

I've always liked the hole in the nut. Made it easy to safty wire for a track day.

7. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    It's called "marketing and product differentiation". It works too.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Although the nut has been problematic for many, it is not the only area where K&N filters have shown to be of questionable reliability. The other area that has been prone to failure is at the O-ring.

Not sure if it is something that K&N had always made clear, but they do say in the instructions and web site I believe, that the nut was never meant to be used as an installation aid only meant for ease in removal. If they were smart, they would weld on nuts that can only be used as a removal aid. Meaning round the corners of the left edge of the nut, similar to security screws that can only installed, but in reverse, where you can only use it to loosen they nut (filter). This would leave them less likely to have failures from improper installation.

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    A total recall or design change would be the ideal or perhaps optimal solution. The Oring failure is most certainly another flaw. There are Orings and there are Orings. The costs are different and maybe somebody along the line figured differently and substituted the "wrong" Oring for what was in the original design criteria.

Of course, the largest Oring in the world is in Texas...40' in diameter..

10. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Are we really so stupid that K+N should round off one side of the nut so it can be turned only counter clockwise?

And as soon as something doesn't right, the Angry Mob screams: Class Action Lawsuit? Great.... Now we get lawyers involved. The price of all oil filters goes up. Then maybe the manufacturers will be forced to put a big, stupid warning on the oil filter. Where does it end? Then the motorcycle manufacturers will have to build motorcycles, that have to be take to an Authorized Service Center to have the oil changed?

Lube the O ring. Hand tighten only. And if you don't like them, just buy another brand.

11. Badbilly

United States
    Maybe round off all the corners on that nut? Naaa, then someone would be on there with a pipe wrench or some vice grips..

12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    When I got my 03 VFR late in 2013, I did my first oil change and used a K&N filter, based on their reputation with their air filters (have had one in my '83 since 84!). Then I started reading all the horror stories on VFRW and VFRD long before AM's near tragic failure. I quickly removed it and put in a stock filter. It's called peace of mind, I went down hard on the Angeles Crest from an oil spill down the center of the lane from a cager in '86. It's a feeling I will never forget. Use one if you want, it's your ass, but don't defend their poor construction and wrong size seal for Honda's (someone on VFRD actually measured the difference, causing seal to twist or roll over and leak). These forums are great for spreading the word on great products and more importantly on poor products that threaten our lives.

13. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Was that the one supplied by Morton-Thiokol to NASA? I thought that one ended up in a lot of small pieces...

14. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Has anyone actually sat down and written letter of complaint to K&N about the filters?

Have got to say ,Have never heard of anyone complaining about them in the UK.

15. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    I've used them a few times as the closest motorcycle accessory place to me sell only K&N for the VFR, haven't had any issues though have only used the nut to remove never to install.

16. Badbilly

United States

While that does point out that the correct Oring is critical to a given application, I have no knowledge that any part of that particular Oring was recovered. I would guess that a great deal of reverse engineering and data reduction was employed to deduce the failure causing Challenger to explode. Hypergolic and conventional rocket fuels generate a great deal of heat. If you have further information please advise.

The 40' ( the ( ' ) is used here a mark for feet, is the Oring seal for the 40' door on thermo-vacuum Chamber A in building 32 NASA MSC Houston.. Lots of pix and data on that on Google. A similar 25' Oring seals the top of NASA Chamber B. Other Oring suppliers and manufacturers include Parker-Hannifin and National Oring.

For the Sci-Fi fans, Chamber A was in a movie. "Future World" a spinoff or sequel to West World which is now being spun off on TV as a series. Future World "stars" harleydood icon Peter Fonda, Gwynneth Paltrow's mum and extras including me if you look real close and don't blink. Much of the film was shot at then Houston Intercontinental Airport and Jones Hall in Downtown Houston..

17. Badbilly

United States

Be patient, your 15 minutes of fame may lie near. Maybe an Email?

18. Hero Danny

Hero Danny New Member

United States
    Map
    Lol it's like when I uploaded my VFR video of me going through the bike and I used a K&N. I never had bad luck with them in the past with other vehicles so it was a surprise to me when people on here told me it was a bad idea. I've put maybe 2k miles on the VFR and it hasn't exploded yet.. but I didn't tighten it much with the nut. I guess what people were saying here was that you'll probably be okay as long as you only hand tighten it and only use the nut for removal.

Either way, it's the last K&N i'll use. Better safe than sorry.

19. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    :kc10:why do you keep buying a leaky oil filter-it would stupidity comes to mind. all you have to do is see is Donald triumph win comes to mind. I do think installation does come into play here too-tighten up that Nut till it hits 100 pds of torque-gee it leaks just like your head does

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I have written 3 letters and sent them used filters. There are photos and threads on here about this. I only got 1 reply asking for the filter back for inspection. Never heard another word even with a follow up letter, but I did get a new filter in the mail. I won't even use it as a paper weight. POS