Ireland weekender 2017

Discussion in 'Europe' started by fink, Mar 13, 2017.

1. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    In a slight change to the annual Caledonia Weekender the Gaelic theme still continues, this year across the water to Ireland.
    Dates: Arrival Thursday 6th July heading home Monday 10th.
    Cost for 4 nights will roughly be about 220 euros, I'm still working out prices with them.

You make your own way there
    Rideouts: Friday, Sat, Sun. (routes still in progress)

If your interested post up your name, if your local and fancy popping along to join in the rideout please do. Any help with route suggestions would be appreciated.:)

fink

2. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hoping to get for at least one, or possibly two nights.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I could only wish. When I was over there a few years back with the wife, I just about sent her back home to pack up my bike for me and ship it out. Then got to thinking, that was not such a good idea. But it does have its merits though.

4. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I just hope the weather you get is better that it is here today - open the shutters this morning to find I will definitely not be riding the VFR today :(

IMG_4611.jpg

Hopefully by July you will enjoy warm dry roads. Your plan looks rather familiar - last year I enjoyed a circuit around Ireland - arriving in Belfast and returning from Dublin.

IMG_2736.jpg IMG_2582.jpg

If you have not been to the Isle of Man - it is definitely a special place for motorbikers, which once you visit, you will want to return often. There is so much to do and see and roads without speed limits to really hear that V4 roar. Perhaps next year instead of sailing direct to Ireland you could take the Heysham ferriy to Douglas and spend a few days on the Island before catching the fast ferry over to Belfast.

Have fun!

5. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Have been to IOM before and would very happily go back, if it weren't for the footpads called the steam packet company.

The Irish trip is a one off as we usually explore the highlands of Scotland.

6. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map

I guess for anyone living in Scotland the Highlands must provide a very attractive riding destination on your doorstep.

I hope your trip to Ireland goes well. I found Ireland had some fabulous mostly empty minor roads, great pubs and of course the people were all very welcoming. The Wild Atlantic Way proved a real roller-coaster road with stunning views and loads of places offering good value overnight rooms.

As for the IOM I will definitely be heading back as soon as I can afford the run up from the Alps.

I guess we all like to grumble about the steam packet fares and particularly the fare hikes around the TT weeks. But even then, the cost per mile to the island can be far lower than many peak week cross channel ferries to over France, and don't get me started on French AutoRoute tolls...

Inherently the steam packet company probably makes most of their annual profit in just half a dozen weeks, and that allows them to offer winter sailings which can have very few passengers. The TT price hike also gives them the funds to hire in one or more additional ferries to handle the enormous numbers of bikes heading to the TT, indeed without those extra ferries a lot of riders would not be able to enjoy the TT. Also the Steam Packet Company are a major sponsor of the TT races, and inevitably that support ultimately comes from their ticket revenue.

Have fun.

SkiMad

PS I don't own shares in the steam packet ferry company!

7. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

This sounds amazing! Have a great time!!

Is this an annual gathering?

I cannot come this year, but may be able to next year especially if I can find a moto to rent to join the rides.

8. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Be easy enough to rent a bike, hopefully next year will be back in Scotland though.

9. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    That is a thought to consider now ain't it?

10. A.M

We should do it...then I no sit by stranger on plane. Tho that won't stop me.

Well, frak, I'd be no travel with you anyway...flying oot from different places. I got too excited there for a sec...

11. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I live a mile from Glasgow airport guys......

12. A.M

Yissssss!!

If I start a GoFundMe now, I may be able to afford the airfare! Ouch! :/

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    My ancestral home. Unless you have done time in the drunk tank, you are unlikely to know my distant relatives from there.

14. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Erm, might have Randy.

15. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map

Abbotsinch or Glasgow.

Will more than likely be back in the Highlands next year. You are more than welcome to come over and join us

16. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map

Thanks. Love heading over to Ireland used to live in stranraer so it was easy enough to head over for the day £30 return . First time going over with a group to the south although have done the North a few times.

As for IOM I will head there again one day
    Fares off peak aren't too bad £133 return in August.

17. Kquacker

Kquacker New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Fink,

Consider taking in a road race maybe ? The Race of the South, Walderstown Road races, are on the 9th July near Athlone. One of my favourite road races. Depending on where you are based, you could use it as a focal point for a ride out with a different return route to Connemara. Feel free to contact me about local routes as I'm based in the west of Ireland too in Mayo, about an hour away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. SteveWhite

SteveWhite New Member

United Kingdom
    South Ockendon, Thurrock, United Kingdom, United K
    Map
    Try and get round Joyces Country. Fantastic views, and i love driving the roads in the car, haven't managed it on the bike yet. I'm there in June seeing my parents who live in Galway. Aunt is from Connemara! If you go into Galway you have to have a drink in The Skeffington, a really nice pub on Eyre Square. Saying that everywhere on the West Coast is lovely. Try following some of the Wild Atlantic Way route, some amazing scenery.

I'm taking a couple of days to Inch Beach and Dingle Bay further south for a trip whilst over there.

19. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  20. Kquacker

Kquacker New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Fink,

I was meaning to get to back to you earlier but been busy at work so haven't really been on here. The routes look good. Very scenic areas so watch out for tourists. On the Northern route to Achill Island, there is a very nice coastal route just past Mallaranny on the N59, narrow but worth it for views alone. It's signposted and also continues on the island and w'ont add too much time to the overall route. I may be able to join you depending on when you're doing that route.

The other southern route is also scenic. You'll be taking in Corkscrew hill on the R480 near Ailwee cave.Leave plenty of room before following traffic in front of you on this one. It narrows and traffic can be slowed dramatically on meeting each other travelling in opposite directions. Your choice on whether it's more preferable for you to take it going south ( up ) or north ( down).
    Lots of photo opportunities so enjoy. As I said previously Walderstown Road Races are taking place just outside Athlone on Sunday 9th. About 1 .5 hrs from Maam cross.