Sat Nav Apps ?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by ManxVFR, Feb 14, 2017.

1. ManxVFR

ManxVFR New Member

Isle of Man
    Map
    Well, I've not actually used it as yet, just imported the routes I want and hoping to test it over the next week or two.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
  3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    OK I guess by now you have probably already sorted this out.

However if you are still looking I would suggest that for short occasional trips – use a free or paid app on your phone.

For much longer tours buy a used TomTom Rider 2nd edition – it may be old but is still the best dedicated motorbike GPS and is still supported with map updates available for an additional fee. Sadly that means they still command strong prices especially full kits with a motorcycle charging dock. The original SD card is too small but can be replaced with a 4GB HD SD card (no bigger!) which has space for a full set of updated Europe maps. After the rider 2nd edition, the bean counters took over and even the latest 40/400 series models are little more than a badly reworked car unit, which I would avoid like the plague. (I bought one and deeply regret it).

Be aware of the downsides of apps:

All the GPS apps I have tested significantly eat into the phone battery life – so assume the normal battery life will be halved, if your trip is less than that, you won’t need to mess with chargers.
    If you also plan to hear voice instructions via Bluetooth then battery life will be further reduced.
    To see maps on the move, most phones can be tucked into a see through pocket on most tank bags – which will avoid issues if you encounter rain. Handlebar mounts are available for most phones but I have seen at least two phones come loose at speed and neither survived the fall – so why risk destroying an expensive iPhone?
    Most apps use “assisted GPS” to provide a better fix on your position – so positioning can become quite flaky in areas without cell coverage, meaning turn by turn instructions may be issued well after you have passed the relevant turn. – “Turn around where possible” is a commonly used phrase for many GPS systems.
    Most apps also use data, especially for things like traffic updates, so can be costly if used outside your service providers area or they consume data beyond your contract limit.

SkiMad

4. ManxVFR

ManxVFR New Member

Isle of Man
    Map
    Hey Skimad, thanks for the info
    Basically my thoughts are to use an app on my phone or iPad as a cheaper option rather than buying a sat nav.
    I have trip coming up with my Dad who has a sat nav and I'll use the trip as a test to compare how the app works.
    I'll have it connected to power and will use offline maps.
    Going to give it a test this weekend around the TT course !

5. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    As the only rider in my group with a satnav, I always get stuck leading the group through nasty confusing bits of roads/cities. It gets old . . .