VF500 petcock Filters

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by slowbird, Mar 21, 2010.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Your welcome. :)

There is one large hose that comes off the petcock. Then it splits into 2 smaller hoses that go to the carbs.

2. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting, this must have been a redesign for the '86 model year when they went to a gravity fed system. There is only one fuel supply line from the petcock to the carburetors on my '84 (originally issued with a fuel pump).

3. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Really?!

Only 1 line and it goes straight to the carbs?

Strange.

4. Tom Fregly

Tom Fregly New Member

86 VF500F fuel plumbing issue

I stumbled onto your discussion from 4 years ago. Hope your VF is running great. I've got about 100 hours into my rebuild of an '86 and am stuck on the fuel lines. It was a basket case and I didn't see it come apart. I see where 2 carbs have brass fittings for fuel. What goes to the the black rail that goes to the 2 front carbs? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. Jack Freeman

Jack Freeman New Member

United States
    Hello! I just picked up a project 86 VF500 and I know this is super old thread but I actually had the same question about about the black line coming out of the front two carbs - is this just a breather? if so where does it lead to?

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Float chamber vent lines on a California bike. As long as the main breather that comes off of the plastic vent cross-over tubes is being vented to atmosphere, you can just plug them or connect them to each other. Post a pic and I can absolutely verify for you.

7. Jack Freeman

Jack Freeman New Member

United States
    Thanks so much for the response, yes picture below of what I’m talking about. Just trying to figure out the fuel line situation
    Hello Sir, thanks so much for the help on this. Picture below for verification. I also need to figure out the size/length fuel line I need off the petcock because the bike didn’t have that when I got it.