New 2014 VFR800

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by thegreatnobody, Nov 4, 2013.

1. TankSlapper

TankSlapper New Member

United States
    Map
    I am really glad to see the VFR live on, even if it is only a slight upgrade to the 6-gen...

It needs one of those stubby Werkes pipes:

Werkes_Exhaust.jpg

Or ala MV:

2012-MV-Agusta-F3-Images.jpg

2. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    You're right about previous Generations influences, from the Official Vid I definitely think the front hints of 5th Gen and like that it does. :cool:

[video=youtube;_7Fk_irzUaY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Fk_irzUaY[/video]

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Honda makes a bunch of stuff that never gets here. How many times have most of us seen bikes of all sorts that are "not available in ______", then miracle of miracles they are. Or like the full faired SVs that were not available in the US and the Canadian dealers were selling same like ________ (Your choice of breakfast of champions) to US buyers, all legal and proper then voila! Suzuki makes them available.. HD pulls the SOS with their bikes saying due to huge sales volumes the________ is no longer available.

Next we hear from "the company" that the Piglets will only be sold to certain folks in certain countries.. Yeah Right.. LOL

4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    If by innovative you mean underpowered with no top end. The engine is more suited for a large commuter scooter, not a "do everything" motorcycle like Honda is touting it as. Yes it gets great gas mileage, and it feels plenty torquey until you hit 4.5K RPM and realize that's all the bike has. Riding mine made me nervous in any situation that require quick speed changes, like passing slow cars on 1 lane highways in passing zones. Drop down a gear and then bounce off the rev limiter. Yeah, not that awesome.

Then they want you to load this thing down with gear and luggage like a sport tourer, yet this thing is half the power of an old VFR 750. No thanks

5. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
    I heard they were talking a NAKED 800 VFR for the US... but maybe not until late '14 or '15...

6. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

That would be a complete and utter marketing failure. - Americans will not buy naked bikes, as has been proven time and time again.

7. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

Not necessarily true... middlewights like the Monster, Street Triple, and SV650 sell very well. Super nakeds seem to sit more. Although I may be kinda biased.

8. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Am I the only member who thinks this 2002 VFR on life-support is a major disappointment? Honda keeps recycling this engine and places it in a slightly different chassis and calls it "new" every time. Come on, man! I am on to you, Honda! I am done. I like my 2004, but mainly because I fixed the suspension and the fueling. This "new" version is a major step sideways. That said, I will welcome the buyers of this motorcycle into the VFR fold - because basically it is my bike, but without the upgrades.

9. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    I hear you, but as I'm sure most of us will agree, the v four motor as we know it, is the heart and soul of the VFR, why change it? I mean, (and I'm not knocking it at all) that seems to have been the driving force behind v-tec (change for change's sake) I don't know about fi so I can't comment on the fueling issues. Think we will have to wait until somebody actually rides the thing to see if they have improved the suspension and handling, which is where I'm sure most of us would want to see improvements (not that we are necessarily unhappy but to sell us on the "new and improved" bit)

10. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

I agree. Perhaps if the "new" bike was 30kg lighter I might forgive Honda for recycling the 800cc faux-VTEC motor but as it stands, I am unimpressed. I do like the styling of the latest iteration and I'm not saying that the 800 is a bad motor - far from it - but, FFS, how hard would it be for Honda to give the public a 1000cc V4 motor?! Just look at the sales of the Aprilia Tuono. It isn't the styling that sells those things; it is the incredible motor!

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Some fortunate sod from across the pond will be the first to climb aboard this bike, pump the levers, and make the obligatory vroom-vroom sounds, while we in the US will go wanting.

12. Scott_Lilliott

Scott_Lilliott New Member

United States
    Map
    Meh as well. Modern-day niceties, big whoop. Where's the HP ? Where's the modern suspension ? (Honda - go look at what BMW and Ducati and Aprilia and KTM are doing ... seriously). If it's VTEC, it's over - a great advancement sideways, IMNSHO. It's nice looking, but - meh.

13. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm getting the impression the initial reception is more positive than the V12.

I think the price point will say a lot. If it had the new Honda hovercraft v4 1001cc engine, people would bitch when it cost more than an aprillia and hang Honda on a stake for not listening. Those that did buy it would rip off the airbox and ram a plunger down the exhaust pipe then rave about how much free horsepower was to be had.

14. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    What would you marry that up with Tink?

I kinda like it. Except as a couple others have mentioned here, that fugly pipe blocking the view of that cool single sidearm look. That makes no sence to me at all. And.....fuck....its red for krissake.

15. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I have to say that I love it.
    Shame about the normal front forks, it can't possibly cost that much more for upside down ones.
    Traction control and ABS is a great addition.
    Adjustable seat height a big plus for shorties like me.
    Single muffler a big plus for me when I have replaced them on every bike I have ever owned with a Staintune one.
    The wheels are pure sex.
    I want one.

16. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Perhaps you'd rather a different class of Motorcycle ?

Maybe I'm less demanding but have never felt the need for more power or less weight on the road than from my VFR800, even when I've had the fun of swapping long distances with friends Superbikes eg Gixer 1000s, R1, S1000rr HP4, K1300S, 'Blades etc on tour have never felt like I'm missing out when stepping back on my VFR so am content with the '14 model remaining as a quality middle weight Sports tourer. As long as it doesn't loose its wonderful V4 sound with a more fruity pipe and priced reasonably I'll be happy buying one in 2 to 3 years.

17. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
  18. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    sure hope they drop the VTEC garbage.

19. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    does it not have USD forks?

I'll stick with my '02.

20. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Exactly my point. If folks were not going to "upgrade" from the 5th Gen or even the 4th Gen (which I think is the BEST VFR) to the 6th Gen VTEC, what is so astonishingly improved about this bike over the previous model that has folks all ga-ga? Traction control? Bodywork? Instrument panel? Exhaust? Please help me out. I do not get it.

EDIT - please don't be distracted by my opinion about the 4th Gen. It really isn't germane to my question.