'17 VFR v. '17 Ducati SuperSport S (MCN Comparo)

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GatorGreg, Apr 26, 2017.

1. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    For those of you who argue that the VFR is a fat dinosaur, etc., I would argue that the mere presence of the VFR in this comparo is a moral victory in and of itself! :witless: IMO the VFR sounded by far the best of all 4 machines in the comparo and was the 2nd best looking after the Panigale.

What I got out of this review is that while they regard the Supersport as the bike that can do a little bit of everything, it's not in the same league as the VFR when it comes to sports-touring. Kind of wished they had a white VFR as well to compare against the two white Ducati's but from what I've seen I don't think Honda offers the VFR in white anymore for '17 (except in Japan).

Edit - fixing the video link:

Edit: Found a link to Michael Neeves' written companion piece to the MCN video:
    https://www.pressreader.com/uk/motorcycle-news-uk/20170412/284275299987554

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Good video. And, as I expected.

3. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    I was able to just now rewatch the vid on my big screen with a good sound system and I loved the cockpit view of the VFR from about the 2:25-2:35 mark. That rider made the VFR look like it could take the curves just as well if not better than the other bikes! And the sound of the VFR at the 2:53 mark was the sweetest sounding engine in the whole show I thought. I thought the red VFR with the tasteful bronze wheels looked very sporty and classy at the same time while the Ducatis with the clown-like red wheels looked very boyracer IMO. Bottom line is the VFR, despite being essentially unchanged since 2014, looked right at home with the cool new kid on the block Ducati SuperSport.

wiremanjon likes this.
  4. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    So it doesn't like two up or luggage, hardly a sports tourer then is it?

wiremanjon likes this.
  5. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    And apparently the mirrors are useless unless you hold in the clutch lever - LOL

wiremanjon likes this.
  6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Since when has Ducati mirrors ever been user friendly. I'd get a used 1098/1198, more for less IMO. But then That Tuono.....................:eagerness:

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Exactly. Then you could go back to the short service intervals, the uncompromising riding position, the expensive components, light weight, and all the rest of the things VFR riders seem to use as positive reinforcement for not wanting anything but a VFR. The SS is a VFR beater, more sport than tour, but still a stout competitor.

8. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    If price was no object, l would take the Ducati. It is by virtue of being lighter, a lot more responsive. It is definitely more sporty than the VFR. The Ducati suits the type of riding that l do.

I liked the riding position of the Ducati. It felt almost like my 01 VFR. As far as a plush ride, not much difference there either. I don't think the previous owner of my VFR did anything to the suspention.

Useless mirrors? Welcome to my world. I ride a KTM 990 Super Duke.

Anyone going to need s really nice '01 VFR in a couple of years? Becsuse when l find a nice, slightly used 939 SS, I'm buying it!

9. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    I would say the VFR handles as well or better than the Ninja. The Panigale would destroy it. The Supersport would be a good match I imagine, but it would probably edge the VFR as well. The VFR is a surprisingly nimble bike for what it is. Especially once you get the OEM tires placed in the garbage where they belong.

anthonygg13 likes this.
  10. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, the 959 laughs at the handling of the VFR, I've ridden it. Corners incredibly well. Ok, maybe not laugh at it, that's too harsh. But it definitely would leave it on a track or twisty canyon road. The Supersport is supposed to handle exceptionally well also.

11. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    You're probably right - I just enjoyed watching them ride the VFR on that beautiful Italian road - Ducati's home court - with gusto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  12. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    None of them had luggage on or were 2 up...
    Not sure what they were comparing...

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Mirrors?.....

14. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Hahahaha, I never thought of that.

15. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    And Ducati service intervals are now 15-18K miles. No one here appreciates VFRs more than me--I've had three and ridden all VFs/VFRs in anger since 1985. But, the Duck is what the VFR should be, as is evidenced by the VFR's total sales collapse. If Honda was to redesign--which it likely won't, this may be the last VFR--it needs to ditch the silly VTEC and go back to cam gears, or, even better, use a system like Porsche's VarioCam. My '02 996 has none of the goofy power/noise steps; it just pulls like a freight train from idle and rips your head off above 4K. The new VFR also can't weigh more than 480 Lbs. wet, must be 1000 ccs with 130 HP/rear wheel and dumptruck loads of torque. These things would take a thorough redesign; and I just don't know if Honda will do it. The genre is dead. If only the VFR1200 weighed 100 Lbs. less and was a 1000.

So, Norcal is right--the SS is the ticket in the tiny sport-tourer genre.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  16. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I really do love my 99. I loved the 2005 I owned before that. They are both great analog bikes. After having test ridden a number of the new "digital" European bikes, I definitely know the difference between them. TC on the BMW S1000XR saved me from what could have been a fatal highside on a twisty canyon. But, that was also partially to blame for a throttle that needs less twist and a sixty horsepower difference.

But, honestly, the video is opinion, as is everything written here, including myself. The perfect bike is the one that's perfect for you. It may be something totally different to each one of us.

I love the Panigale's look. I love the S100RR performance. I love the S1000XR comfort.
    Which bike will I buy when I do buy one? I'm waiting to find out as well!!!

Hannarexic likes this.
  17. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    I can't help but notice that the folks who complain most vehemently about the 8th gen's shortcomings (and take every opportunity to talk up this new Ducati) are non-8th gen owners and some of them either don't own a VFR or haven't owned one for years! :glee:

Most folks who actually own an 8th gen (with few exceptions I'm sure) seem to REALLY like them - I know I do! Yeah it's not perfect, but what bike is? Certainly not this new Ducati with its fuzzy mirrors, game-boy dash, inferior sounding engine, clown-like wheels, paltry fuel tank, and presumably Ducati's notorious reliability (which is nearly THREE times worse than Honda per Consumer Reports).

In fact, motorcycle.com gave the new Ducati SuperSport a score of 86.5% in their recent review which is hardly a perfect score for something that some would have you believe is the new Holy Grail of sports-tourers :witless:

Ironically, this is the EXACT SAME SCORE they gave the 8th gen VFR800 Interceptor!!! So while the 8th gen haters and Ducati owners may have their view, I say try them both and pick the one you like best because you may find the 8th gen to be a better fit for you (see how "fair and balanced" I am? :beguiled: )

Sources
    Link to motorcycle.com's review (written by Troy Siahaan) with an 86.5% rating of '17 Ducati SuperSport:
    http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2017-ducati-supersport-review.html

Link to motorcycle.com's review (written by Evans Brasfield) with an 86.5% rating of the 8th gen VFR800 Interceptor:
    http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2014-honda-interceptor-review-first-ride.html

Link to ConsumerReport's article, "Who makes the most reliable motorcycle? We rate 10 big brands":
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

Boltman422 and rebs like this.
  18. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Just checked out the website on the SS. This made me really laugh.....

and long-range 16-litre fuel tank........

It that because after 100m you want to get off it anyway....lol

Next.

Traction control & quick shift! It makes 113hp on a chassis Dino! Just about enough to spin the wheels...

There is no top box & you are stuck with some handbag sized panniers - not much info on them either - prob cost another £1000 anyway...

Lastly the price. Lol

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    A Tuono with an after market wind screen and bags will fit the bill. Very fast, light weight,great electronics, reliable, and one bad ass V4. Oh and Ohlin suspension and Brembo brakes don't hurt

20. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Getting prickly in here....I could never figure out why people worried about 50 pounds when they were just gonna throw a bunch of luggage, tail and tankbags, top boxes, and a passenger on a bike and go tooling down the highway. The new SS is more like the earlier vfr's than the new mini leadwings, which I think is what a certain slice of the VFR gang wants. A true "supersport" machine with decent ergo's and modern quality components.