180\60ZR17 vs 180\55ZR17

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Lint, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Hi,

I was reading about the tires that Pirelli makes for the new Panigale V4 and that it is a higher aspect ratio than the normal rear tire, ie 60 v 55, which is said to increase the agility of the bike. So, since some tires do have this aspect ratio in our stock tire width, I was wondering if anyone has run this size?

I've ridden a tire with a 50 aspect ration then went to 55 and I did notice a difference, so I am assuming that the 55-60 would be similar, i.e. quicker tip-in, steering etc. Anyone with experience on this?

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I'm not sure about tip in, I did not notice that when I did it on my track bike many years ago. It does give you a larger contact patch while leaned far over.
    This was with Dunlop GPA slicks. Different manufacturers have very different profiles for the same number tire. Exp a Michellin and Pirelli 190/55 might have the same numbers but still have different profiles angles and shape. And there can be differences within a manufactures line like say a Dunlop Ntec GPA slick and a Dunlop KR slick may both be a 190/55 but may have different profiles. Was your experience with a Pirelli? I have not ridden on Pirelli's in a ling time but I think I remember they were a bit sharper angle on a set and did turn in quicker.

Lint likes this.