180 for a 92?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by covertonions, Jun 1, 2003.

1. covertonions

covertonions New Member

i have a 92 750 and the 170 rear tire is not cutting it. i want to put a 180 sportech on there- does anyone know about this? will it work?
    thanks

2. PaulAmico

PaulAmico New Member

Sorry that I can't answer your question, but actually one I have thought about in the past...

What's wrong with the 170? Wouldn't a 180 make feel like it turns slower? Or would this be offset by the slight increase in ride height due to a little bit taller tire? ???

By the way, I'm running Dunlop D208s on my '93 and I dig them. Very grippy. Of course, I moved away from the BT-54s that were on it when I bought it.

3. covertonions

covertonions New Member

hmmm- thanks for your reply, i'm not sure about the turning speed issue, my friend and I ride up to tahoe which is a very twisty road, and last time we went, when we got our speed above about 80, i started feeling a little rear slippage on some of the REALLY extreme turns.
    i'm sure that my 205's are pretty old, but i tried my friends bike (with the sportechs), and i was amazed at the grip. i was just wondering if i could get that much bigger of a tread pattern with a 180...
    thx

4. PaulAmico

PaulAmico New Member

I was browsing around on another VFR discussion forum and a guy asked if a 180 would work on the 90-93 vintage 8-spoke wheels - he wanted to put them on his 1999 or 2000 or something.  Someone responded back that you could do this.  Here's the link to a discussion related to it:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/scgi-b...a968f9bc2843399afb78e53077;act=ST;f=12;t=2341

So, it looks like it will work for you!

Good luck.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

The stock wheel on a '92 is 17"x5.5"

It is the same width as the '98-present bikes, which come from the factory with a 180.

Yes, it will fit. 5.5" is the correct rim width for a 180 tire as per the tire mfgrs websites.