1984 VF1000F Cooling Fan Modification?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by 84 vf1000 Rider, Dec 30, 2013.

1. 84 vf1000 Rider

84 vf1000 Rider New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm having an issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with? I have power to the cooling fans when I run power directly from the battery to the fan wires. I tried to wire a toggle switch but either have the fans run all the time or not at all. Is there anyone who has installed a cooling fan mod successfully and if so, can you share the installation process with me. Thank you.

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Are you saying they do not run automatically? Somewhere there is a thermal switch that closes when hot and runs fans, if you wish to add manual control as well, then simply parallel the thermal switch with a toggle switch. Two switches in parallel won't hurt anything if they are both "on".

3. Bigborewhore

Bigborewhore New Member

I added switch to manually override the thermal switch on my 1985 VF1000R. I just spliced it into the thermal wire and it allows me to flip on the fans earlier than when the thermal switch kicks them on, they still turn on automatically if I forget to turn them on if the switch is in the off position. The first wire splices into the wire going to the thermal switch on the lower radiator and the second wire connects to a ground on the fairing stay.

HPIM1216.jpg HPIM1219.jpg HPIM1480.jpg

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    How is it working out? How often do you use it?

5. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    I have the same Bike.
    It does heat up easily, despite having 2 Radiators.
    My Second Motor heats up even faster, I think the PO of the motor pulled it out, left it outside exposed, and the Water Jacket Cylinder Sleeves rusted.
    I put a Switch on the Upper Left Dash. Its a Push-ON, Push-OFF that also Illuminates, so I don't forget its ON.
    I put it ON in City Traffic, not needed out in the CountrySide.
    Just run the 2 Switch Wires over to the Upper Rad ThermoSwitch, just solder right to the 2 ThermoSwitch Connector Tabs.
    Solder to the Cnnector Wires, not direct to the ThermoSwitch.

6. Bigborewhore

Bigborewhore New Member

I usually only use it in the summer when I'm riding slow in traffic. I never did like how the fans didn't come on until the temp gauge was at the ¾ mark, now I reach up and flip on the fans when I'm coming into a town when it's hot out and it keeps it at the halfway mark on the gauge. The fans still kick on automatically if I forget.

I mounted my switch on the right of the gauges due to the trip reset switch was kind of in the way, my switch has a tiny red led light on it that lets me know if the fans are on or not, the led light works when the switch is in the off position also.

7. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    This may be a dumb question, but would this fan switch over ride work on a 2000 VFR as well?? If so, which wire would you tap into, and what kind of switch did you purchase??

8. Bigborewhore

Bigborewhore New Member

I'm sure it would work with any bike, just tie one wire into the wire coming off of the thermal sensor on the radiator with a wire splice connector like this so you don't actually cut the wiring on your bike.

41nqgPUNBiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And then connect the other side of the rocker switch to a good ground on the metal fairing bracket.

I used a cheap Napa rocker switch and just used some spade connectors on the end of the wire and plugged into the bottom of the switch. I used a dremel bit to cut a hole in the plastic next to the gauges and it just presses in.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Rocker-Switch/_/R-ECHRS1095_0431155485

9. Bigborewhore

Bigborewhore New Member

I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but that blue wire with the red stripe on it under the upper radiator hose is the wire connected to the thermal switch.

DSCN3665.jpg DSCN3665 - Version 2.jpg DSCN3665.1 - Version 2.jpg

10. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    All that is needed is a switch on the ground side. The fans have 12v to them all the time. The thermo switch grounds the fans when up to high temp. So just split the ground wire(s) where they connect in the harness or the one wire at the thermo switch and run to a spst switch. When switch is on it completes the ground and turns the fans on. Very simple.

11. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Fan switch (thermal) is located in left radiator near fan, you can parallel it there.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014