1986 VF1000R Exhaust

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by peteinmd, Oct 19, 2006.

1. peteinmd

peteinmd New Member

Hey folks,

I am looking for someone to tell me what to do for an aftermarket slip-on set of mufflers to wake up my 86 VF1000R. Every photo I have seen, the Yosh pipes have been used. I called Yosh and they said they do not have anything available. What is everybody using to enhance that V4 deep growl ?!
    Please help!

Thank you :typing:

2. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    Someone on the Ozvfr mailing list has a VF1000. The list is down at the moment, (server died Thursday :frown: ) when it's back up I'll try to remember to ask him what exhaust he has on the VF.

:smile:

3. peteinmd

peteinmd New Member

Thank you very much.

Any help would be appreciated. I have turned the internet upside down trying to find a full aftermarket exhaust (preferrably keeping a two into one system) or even just the slip-ons that would fit. If necessary going to a four into one system. I have contacted Yoshimura and they say they will not make pipes for bikes this old, (but did at one time). I even talked to "Dale Walker" himself from Walker Racing Inc. and he said that with his busy schedule on newer models, he cannot help us out. There has to be a pipe bender out there that will make the pipe that goes from the exhaust chamber to a slip-on and make the supporting brackets for the pipes! This is not rocket science. I am not doing this just for myself, but for all of the other VF1000R owners that would like a sweet sounding exhaust.

Respectfully,

Peteinmd :confused:

4. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry man, there isn't anything available at all anymore. Don't fret about the Yosh slip-ons (or any other slip-on for that matter) because they caused a power decrease.

I'm still working on my bender that will allow me to produce my own 4-1 system. I hope to have it ready over the winter, but then again I said that last year. For now your best bet is to look on eBay for something used. Be prepared to pay for it though!

5. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    The Ozvfr mailing list is running again. I copied your original post & posted it to the list.

Now to see if anyone replies...

p.s. maybe you could also try subscribing to the same VF/VFR mailing list that has its posts listed here? https://lists.cs.wisc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vfr

6. Brett

Brett New Member

G'day Dave, Jamie and Pete,

Dave, thanks for the heads-up.

Pete, untill Jamie is able to get his VF1000F/R zorst under way, there is not much on the horizon for you, you may be able to pick up something off fleabay, but they are few and far between. There is light at the end of the tunnel though, a motorcycle exhaust company here in Aus still do slip-ons and complete systems for the VF's, they're based in Queensland. Go to:
    www.formula1mc.com.au they don't outwardly advertise components for the VF's but if you drop them an email they'll be sure to help you out.
    As Jamie mentioned, most exhausts for the VF's these days don't do much for the power of the beast but they look and sound good. If you'd like any more info or just wist to talk VF1000R's, don't hesitate to drop me a line or pop in to the Yahoo Interceptor or VF1000R group for a chat, you'll find Jamie and myself there all the time.
    Cheers,
    Smithy.

7. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    Rock on Smithy!

8. GenLightening

GenLightening New Member

My '84 F has a Supertrapp complete system (right muffler assy. sticks out farther than the left) that sounds good and gives it quite a punch. Keep checking ebay and Craigslist if the Aussie one doesn't pan out.

I just found this:
    http://www.exoticsportbike.com/vf1000f_f2.htm
    It's slip-ons for the F/F2, not sure what's different between the R.
    Doug

9. wrwaustralia

wrwaustralia New Member

Hi Guys,

I live in Melbourne, Australia.

The VF1000R won the "Castrol 6 Hour" at Bathurst in the 1980's.

MegaCycle Exhausts made the racing exhaust system for this bike. I was talking to the owner of MegaCycle .. Ken Onus the other day, and he still has the "jigs" for this racing exhaust.

MegaCycle Engineering

Now ... the exhaust system is a pretty ugly thing, the left side sits way higher than the right and makes the bike look unbalanced, but it was designed for performance, not looks. Obviously this system isn't road legal ... but may be an option for track days.

The cost of this custom system ....... hope you have a big wallet

Warren

10. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Jamie, when you get a chance, let us know the status of your 4 into 1 system. Not only is aftermarket exhaust hard to find, but so is a stock setup. Parts for this bike are hard to come by.

11. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

I'm still working on it... slowly. Spring is the busiest time of the year for me and this year is the busiest yet, so I've not had a whole lot of time to work on it. In fact, I haven't even gotten any of my VF's out of winter storage yet and I probably won't be able to until June, if that gives you any idea.

I did receive a couple of parts for the bender last week, so it's not dead. There is still a huge amount of work to be done but hopefully I'll get there eventually!

12. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    What size jets did you go to? Mains and idle.
    Did you use stock needles?

13. DeckardVF1000R

DeckardVF1000R New Member

Custom exhaust...

I had a guy make my 4-1 and it is frick'n AWESOME! He utilized a lot of the stock exhaust parts and we chopped up a Kerker off a VFR and it sounds amazing. i got stage 2 jet kit on there and it just is a pleasure to listen to. That might be a good way to go...
    My mechanic put my pipe up high by the rear fender race bike style, so its much cooler looking than I imagined it would be, and I have much easier access to the rear part of the bike now for cleaning and so forth (see avatar).